• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on these set-ups?

stemfencer

While I have good with headphones and basic bookshelf set-ups, I now want to get into a proper floorstanding set-up and weighing up the following options. Welcome if anyone has any feedback or opinions on the below options.

I am set on the Focal Aria range and they are reported as been to hard to drive due to impedence dips around 100Hz. I am comfortable building a RPi streamer and have some concern about the all-in-ones units, prefer to have some modularity. In future I want to add a turntable, but it will be a secondary source so am happy to prioritise streamed media.

option 1.jpg

Option 2 - get a brand name AB integrated unit and using RPi as streamer

option 2.jpg

Option 3 - new age Class D integrated units

Edit: This is the room correction option, default unit would be Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

option 3.jpg

Greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Hey i understand better now what you were asking me in a different thread. Indeed my system is identical, except for the speakers, to your option 1. I explained you in my answer how i integrated the turntable and the pros and cons. I hope you find it useful.
I would still need to go for option 1 because of cost and size, and it sounds fabulous, but i bet option 3 provides a better "user experience" than dealing with smartphone apps and setting up pi streamers.... my 2cents

OP
S

stemfencer

Hey i understand better now what you were asking me in a different thread. Indeed my system is identical, except for the speakers, to your option 1. I explained you in my answer how i integrated the turntable and the pros and cons. I hope you find it useful.
I would still need to go for option 1 because of cost and size, and it sounds fabulous, but i bet option 3 provides a better "user experience" than dealing with smartphone apps and setting up pi streamers.... my 2cents
Appreciated - I will respond in that post regarding turntable. Link for those that are interested.

Ok great - it's certainly what I have been converging on with Option 1 but wanted to make sure not missing anything, features/inputs seem to be the main negative. I didn't want to complicate the OP, but I can forsee my other half wanting to cannibalise this and add a centre channel and sub for movies at some point in the future, but getting an AVR with passthrough means everything is well future-proofed here.

I have a RaspberryPi already and a few projects on it, so the experience of setting it up is actually a positive for me. I also read with Volumio there is 10 band EQ plug-in, and I have an audio interface with Rode Condensor mic (I know not ideal - but starting point), so should be able to do some simple room correction as well without any additional expense. Might have to get a directional microphone in future though. I upgrade Option #3 to be Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 with Room Perfect automatic correction, but appears can save $1k and put towards better speakers (still debating 926 vs 948) and few wasted weekends should be able to get ballpark results.

Thank you again for the input and first-hand experience

OP
S

stemfencer

I'd go option 3 and never look back. Modularity invites upgraditis.
Haha this is practical advice!

To be honest, I have zero concern with integrated amp (DAC, pre and power), but the reservation is on the streamer side as digital streaming tech moves way faster than amp/speaker design, and can see streamer getting multiple upgrades in a 10 year window. And can't really find an integrated amp that is comparable to HyperX/Topping DAC performance without a 1k price premium - certainly open to suggestions though.

MCH

Major Contributor
I also read with Volumio there is 10 band EQ plug-in, and I have an audio interface with Rode Condensor mic (I know not ideal - but starting point), so should be able to do some simple room correction as well without any additional expense.
Don't forget to check out moodeaudio, comes with camilladsp integrated

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Haha this is practical advice!

To be honest, I have zero concern with integrated amp (DAC, pre and power), but the reservation is on the streamer side as digital streaming tech moves way faster than amp/speaker design, and can see streamer getting multiple upgrades in a 10 year window. And can't really find an integrated amp that is comparable to HyperX/Topping DAC performance without a 1k price premium - certainly open to suggestions though.

But, the Evo 150 is an integerated amp? It has a USB audio input. Nothing stops you from bypassing the built in streamer with a RaspberryPi later down the line when/if it becomes obsolete?

OP
S

stemfencer

Don't forget to check out moodeaudio, comes with camilladsp integrated
Good feedback, I haven't researched deep down the RPi streamer path yet but good there is options. Some room correction is more than feasible then!

Reactions: MCH
OP
S

stemfencer

But, the Evo 150 is an integerated amp? It has a USB audio input. Nothing stops you from bypassing the built in streamer with a RaspberryPi later down the line when/if it becomes obsolete?
Good point - ok you have me thinking now. Evo 150 is almost 1k more, however can deduct cost of a phono amp and display screen for the Pi, and far more convenience, the proposition is there. To be honest if they had a Hyperx module or something bit beefier in the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 that would be the play for the room correction.

fredstuhl

I‘d factor in expenses for room correction. Lyngdorf has this as an on-board feature, which makes it very attractive in my eyes.

OP
S

stemfencer

I‘d factor in expenses for room correction. Lyngdorf has this as an on-board feature, which makes it very attractive in my eyes

I've updated Option #3 to be the "room correction" option, so the Lyngdorf option. The theory is Option #1 I can do room correction through through the Pi with EQ as I have audiointerface an (condensor) mic already. While not as eloquent, should be able to get it ballpark.

I also wish Lyngdorf had Hyperx or similar module, 60W/channel (8ohm) is bit lacking for $2k Class D in 2022, but I guess that is trade-off. Do you have any experience with the unit? Topping PA5 isn't far behind power wise at $250.

fredstuhl

No, no experience with the Lyngdorf and yes, I‘d also be a bit concerned with the amount of power for bit speakers.

Rambopappa

I'm in the same boat as op, although on a lower budget unfortunately. However, if you decide to go with option #1, you could just add a phono preamp for vinyl to make it future proof? Or am I missing something?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
B) integrated Yamaha R-N402D or R-N803 (500/800$). R-N402D is bare naked, just essential tone controls (bass, treble, 100 volume steps and A stage ±10), have less analog inputs and no phono stage and lower rated THD+N (tho its the same analog output stage). The R-N803 has DSP section - room correction but it's not great (degrees THD+N).
The streamer SoC is automative grade peace of s*** but it works (but could have been faster). Upgrade path is to use with both optical inputs from Pi-pi or better X64 (for a sakes of VTS suport) SPDIF and Toslinks from what ever (integrated DAC will remain fine in both cases [Burr DSD1791 or SA 24 9006AS). Analog inputs could have been better for both (100 dB rated, along with remote...).

For me a pocket NAS would be a dream come true.
Here is a interesting startup.
Disclaimer don't be a early adopter or else...

Last edited:
OP
S

stemfencer

I'm in the same boat as op, although on a lower budget unfortunately. However, if you decide to go with option #1, you could just add a phono preamp for vinyl to make it future proof? Or am I missing something?
A phono preamp with balanced inputs is running $500+ at the moment. Perhaps I need to do some more research, but indeed there is options, but significant money that is already integrated into Cambridge Evo 150 for example.

Not sure what you budget is, but getting a Topping D10 DAC into a Topping PA5 (just misses a remote) or Loxjie A30 (includesthe remote) would probably net you equivalent results from what I'm reading, depending what you are trying to drive. Had a Aria 948 owner (need to share his feedback in another thread) say his Loxjie chip (not sure exact one) ran the 948s fine.

wje

Forum Donor
As others have indicated, some room correction capabilities would be ideal. But, room correction is harder to implement in options #2 and #3. However, with option #1, you could add in the MiniDSP DDRC-24 for the cost of $449 (US$$) and utilize the included microphone and DIRAC Live software for room correction. Plus, this option would provide you with 2 RCA outputs to properly integrate subwoofer(s) in the future, if desired.

OP
S

stemfencer

As others have indicated, some room correction capabilities would be ideal. But, room correction is harder to implement in options #2 and #3. However, with option #1, you could add in the MiniDSP DDRC-24 for the cost of $449 (US$$) and utilize the included microphone and DIRAC Live software for room correction. Plus, this option would provide you with 2 RCA outputs to properly integrate subwoofer(s) in the future, if desired.
The new miniDSP flex is looking very appealing here, just curious to see how its DAC performs, as fully balanced and improved DAC over the old 2x4. Looking at Option #1, the miniDPS could be straight swap from the Topping DAC - so now have dirac room correction, sub out and also balanced in for turntable. However it's not cheap especially living outside of USA, so perhaps we are looping back to a Loxjie A30 and saving the pennies.

Also is there any downside of using a DAC as pre-amp, and ways to mitigate max volume blowouts?

Top Bottom