• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on streaming service and cables to use Focal Elex, Schiit Modius, Monolith thx 887, Schiit Loki m+

Newtothis

Hi, I have no experience with higher end (for me) headphones. I watched a lot of YouTube videos and decided to get these components. I hope it was a good choice? I’m sure someone will tell me. I have never been happy with any headphones I’ve used before. The best I’ve had is akg k702. I did get a mayflower amp for them, but I thought it sounded terrible. It sounds like this setup will be quite a step up from videos and reading. I’m not sure what about cables. Is it best to use xlr when it’s an option?
I will be using a mac, iPad, iphone, or old iPod for streaming music. Which is the best streaming service for audio quality? Also, does it matter which one of the options I use, as the source of the music?
Thank you for any help.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having listened to pretty much all the streaming services available in the USA, IMO Amazon, Tidal, Qobuz and Deezer are pretty comparable from a sound quality perspective. Spotify is less good, which I suspect is a result of the compression of the masters they've requested because of the listening habits of their subscribers. I think among the good services, it's reasonable to make your decisions based upon user interface: which one is most convenient for you?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I have no experience with higher end (for me) headphones. I watched a lot of YouTube videos and decided to get these components. I hope it was a good choice? I’m sure someone will tell me. I have never been happy with any headphones I’ve used before. The best I’ve had is akg k702. I did get a mayflower amp for them, but I thought it sounded terrible. It sounds like this setup will be quite a step up from videos and reading. I’m not sure what about cables. Is it best to use xlr when it’s an option?
I will be using a mac, iPad, iphone, or old iPod for streaming music. Which is the best streaming service for audio quality? Also, does it matter which one of the options I use, as the source of the music?
Thank you for any help.
I was reluctant for a while, but right now I am using Qobuz with Roon. Roon turned to be something way more useful than I expected. It gives me better recommendations than the Qobuz app, I can use DSP such as EQ and crossfeed, and manage my local library as well. It also lets you stream to multiple other devices as well. I think this combination is the best I've found for dedicated music listening.

OP
N

Newtothis

Thank you guys so much for your responses. I didn’t realize Amazon has upgraded to compete with the other hi res services.

OP
N

Newtothis

I was reluctant for a while, but right now I am using Qobuz with Roon. Roon turned to be something way more useful than I expected. It gives me better recommendations than the Qobuz app, I can use DSP such as EQ and crossfeed, and manage my local library as well. It also lets you stream to multiple other devices as well. I think this combination is the best I've found for dedicated music listening.
When you say using dsp, does that mean you can make it sound like a concert hall, lounge, etc?

Top Bottom