• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on streaming DAC please

Marcie

I currently stream my high res Flacs from a DNLA disc to my Marantz SR7008 using either the Marantz app or Neutron player; it works well. I have approx £500 burning a hole in my pocket and would like recommendations for a wireless DAC that will accept the Flacs and output via phonos to the Marantz as an amplifier. Does this make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree. Thanks.

mansr

Major Contributor
What is your goal here? Do you just want to get rid of the Ethernet cable, or are you hoping to improve the sound? If the former, I'd suggest you get a wifi bridge and keep using the Marantz as before. Adding an external DAC isn't going to give you better sound.

OP
M

Marcie

Mansr, I was hoping to improve the sound (which to my ears is not bad at the moment) so thought an external wireless DAC driving the CD imput of the Marantz might improve quality over the internal Marantz DAC.

mansr

Major Contributor
With an external analogue source, the normal mode of operation is for the Marantz to digitise it, apply whatever processing is configured, and send the result through the built-in DAC. In "pure direct" mode, this path is bypassed, but then you lose the ability to use Audyssey correction, and since the weakest link in the Marantz is the power amp, this is unlikely to improve the sound quality.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mansr, I was hoping to improve the sound (which to my ears is not bad at the moment) so thought an external wireless DAC driving the CD imput of the Marantz might improve quality over the internal Marantz DAC.
If the sound isn't bad then I wouldn't worry. I don't know what the DAC is like in the Marantz you own, but you probably won't get much of an improvement (if any) in SQ with an external DAC.

The other issue is that, if you want to streamer/DAC then you're limited in terms of DACs. The cheaper state of the art DACs are stand alone, i.e. no streamer.

OP
M

Marcie

Thank you Mansr and SJ777 - I had forgotten that the Marantz would digitise the signal etc. Thanks for saving me £500. Off to buy more Blu-rays (or maybe a power amp... mmmm).

Top Bottom