• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on integrated amp for Wharfedale Diamonds 230

Which amp for the Diamonds?

• Yamaha R-N803D

• Cambridge CXA61

• Cambridge Azur 851

• Older used amp (such as NAD C370)

Results are only viewable after voting.

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
You could also consider Yamaha WXA-50, it was reviewed favorable here on site. It is similar to R803D, without YPAO.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you A/B the amplifiers blind and have them switch inputs randomly? This should be relatively easy to do bc the Wharfedales have the double binding posts for biwiring. Just don't feed high volume signal from both amps at the same time! Or you can buy a 20 euro switchboard for peace of mind. @Doodski is this a sound approach?
I don't recommend peeps connecting 2 power amplifiers to the same speakers at the same time. It's a recipe for disaster.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doodski, exactly what are you saying here ?? More refined because of the fewer output transistors or the biasing is better ?

Does more 'capacitance' always produce a more powerful transient ? Have an engineering background maybe ?

Pulling the data sheets really doesn't prove much unless you have measured and analyzed the circuit topology.
The output transistors in quantity will reduce the output impedance due to the layout of the topography and it is a good indication if the amp is designed for higher current output. In this case the two NAD amps appear to have ample capability. More capacitance generally indicates a tighter voltage output from the power supply and more in reserve for transients. I have a education in electronics and technical drafting.

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
Similar because of the Yamaha Musiccast… powered with IcePower 50W or AB class 100 W, the result will be similar on Whaferdales. Neither of the amplifiers will come out of juice. I self have the R-N803D and can say that I liked more sound from 25W D class amplifier on same speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Similar because of the Yamaha Musiccast… powered with IcePower 50W or AB class 100 W, the result will be similar on Whaferdales. Neither of the amplifiers will come out of juice. I self have the R-N803D and can say that I liked more sound from 25W D class amplifier on same speakers.
The OP is looking to upgrade his amplification not side-grade.

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
I gave a suggestion to an OP. If you like suggestions for yourself, you should open own thread.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not similar to the R-N803D. They are completely different amplifier types and the output power is better on the R-N803D

And the Yamaha WXA-50 is a class d amp

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
It's a open forum. :D The Yamaha WXA-50 is not a solution. Just because you have or listened to one does not make it good for everybody.
I agree, everybody should listen to it to determine if it suits his/hers preference. Also, I have given my opinion based on the products that I own and have listened in different combinations. Class D, although nominally „weaker“ has exceeded in clarity and bass control ( Ice power 50, NCore 125 with linear toroidal power supply). If cheaper product has same or better characteristics, why pay more?
Talking about product with which man has no personal experience, is like repeating mantra from some other sites.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking about product with which man has no personal experience, is like repeating mantra from some other sites.
Not sure what you mean. You proposed a amplifier he has never seen and so I can't see you stating that about others. He asked question and I indulged him if you are referring to me.

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
We have stated our propositions, it us up to OP to see if he is willing/able to try them. Sometimes even best intentions can cause confusion.

uwotm8

I'd rather stay with current amp and think about speakers upgrade. Was never excited with typical Wharfedale dull sound.
Voted for NAD because it's the only actual amplifier listed (sorry Yamaha and CA).

Willem

Major Contributor
Quite a lot of subjective rather than scientific statements in this thread.

UniPolar

I agree. I'm rather new here also, and also expected more 'substance' .. I wonder if all the prior posts has help the OP to make his decision...
It seems he was already biased against the 'frankenstein' Yamaha..

I get that he is not able to audition equipment in his country, so he's asking for guidance which should'nt include un-necessary hyperbole . There's plenty of other audio forums where he can get that. Audio equipment doesn't eat other audio equipment for lunch or any meal ..
So, @brotakul, have you narrowed your choice ?

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor

Let’s fix that…

30E5813D-D49A-4E2E-9D22-15E4684A6060.jpeg

and the answer is… 42!

OP
brotakul

brotakul

[…]
It seems he was already biased against the 'frankenstein' Yamaha..
[…]
So, @brotakul, have you narrowed your choice ?
At this point I lean more towards the Yamaha for the “complete package” on the budget aspect, more than anything, and largely assured by Willem’s argument that the R-N series have “proper” stereo amplification stage and not my previous concern as being cheapo AVRs repackaged as stereo integrates. In the other hand, I understand it’s an all-in-one box with added streaming capabilities, room correction and all, which from a measuring standpoint do degrade the signal quality (as probably any additional digital processing would do), but at this point I listed these extended features in the asvantages bucket because from what I can understand from Amir’s measurements, it would hardly be an issue in practice, at an audible level. Right? Right??!

As it happens, I’m looking for a purchase within the next 2 months (need to address other stuff first, but I want to make my mind in the meantime), so I’m not hard pressed to do it tomorrow.

Aditionally, I discovered a “hugely” discounted Rotel RA-1572 on the local market at around the 1000€ mark, so i’s say in the same ballpark with the Yamaha.
Now, I see “some” probably more subjective reviewers site (i don’t know if i can say who, but i guess you already know them) bashing the 1572 (and the a14 for that matter) for falling short (and quite hard!) on “timing and dynamics”. It’s a very concerning review. Curiously enough, a second review of the 1572 i was able to find online states quite the opposite :)), so yeah, talking about subjectivism…
The reason i bring this amp into question is the original msrp ar around 1500€ mark, which makes me “think” i’d have the opportunity to buy a better amp for the money, given the almost 50% discount.
So now I guess I’m considering the Yamaha and the Rotel (if it so happens that the bashing article is misleading and biased on ads grounds).

Last edited:
Top Bottom