• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on DAC and Bass Management

Chobes11

I’m looking for suggestions on a setup with a DAC, preamp and a way to add crossover from Mains to the sub in a 2.1 system. It seems the best way to crossover the mains is to add a MiniDSP. Am I missing something? I am trying to use balanced connections as much as possible.
1. MiniDSP SHD - good all in one package. Is the DAC chip outdated?
2. MiniDSP Studio to Okto Pro - my current sub doesn’t have balanced input but I can budget for a new sub (maybe Rythmik)
3. MiniDSP Studio to 2 x Topping D90’s - one D90 for Mains and the second D90 for the sub.

Do you think I would even hear a difference between MiniDSP SHD vs Okto Pro?
Does the popular RME DAC have a way to separate frequencies from the XLR and RCA outputs?

win

worth noting the okto pro has some crazy waitlist right now, whereas the minidsp products typically arrive in a couple of days.

the SHD dacs aren't the best, but still transparent. I probably would have gone that route if I could have planned everything ahead. You also don't really need a d90 for the sub channel. I would just go with a lower priced RCA-based DAC and save a boatload.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the impact of a DAC on sound quality is highly overrated in comparison to other higher distortion components (amplifiers and speakers).

I would go with the SHD as it is a nice one box solution. It also has digital outputs so if you decide an external DAC is needed you can do that at a later date.

Michael

OP
C

Chobes11

worth noting the okto pro has some crazy waitlist right now, whereas the minidsp products typically arrive in a couple of days.

the SHD dacs aren't the best, but still transparent. I probably would have gone that route if I could have planned everything ahead. You also don't really need a d90 for the sub channel. I would just go with a lower priced RCA-based DAC and save a boatload.
Thanks for the info, how would I make sure the two DACs are in-sync?

Top Bottom