• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on AVR or AVP for stereo

andrew

I'm after an AVR or AVP (or another option) that measures well and is suitable for a stereo system. The system configuration is Sources -> AVR|AVP Pre-Out -> mini-DSP (D/A -> X/O + EQ -> A/D) -> Volume Control -> High Pass to Active Mains + Low Pass to Subwoofers. All this is to replace an HDMI switch that has 2.0 stereo output on the basis that I've had successive failures of different brands of HDMI switches. The system won't use the onboard amplifiers, digital EQ, or volume control, but instead just acts as an HDMI switch and downmixes multi-channel to stereo. I'm thinking that the Denon XH3600 or XH3700 is the right answer as these measures well. What, if any, other options would one recommend?

P.S. I've tried to use the TV | Optical output but this just work reliably enough to be a solution for the family.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What are you driving with your Mini-DSP... how many channels are you seperating out and Crossing over?

What other EQ are you doing on the Mini-DSP (if any)?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends if you're ready for an entire set of external amps (or need for such) for the biggest part somewhat if you want to tie up more funds in a pre-pro that can get out of date as quick as an avr (altho I think right now is a good time to hold as is, even with limited 4k features as there's simply not that much 4k content to worry about IMO). Most pre-pros haven't measured all that great as expected at least....and an avr as pre-pro works very well for less cost in many cases.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Depends if you're ready for an entire set of external amps (or need for such) for the biggest part somewhat if you want to tie up more funds in a pre-pro that can get out of date as quick as an avr (altho I think right now is a good time to hold as is, even with limited 4k features as there's simply not that much 4k content to worry about IMO). Most pre-pros haven't measured all that great as expected at least....and an avr as pre-pro works very well for less cost in many cases.
The killer feature of the new flagships will be Dirac Unison... I think... (hope!)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The killer feature of the new flagships will be Dirac Unison... I think... (hope!)
Not a major concern yet afaict. How well this works has some ways to go....

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Not a major concern yet afaict. How well this works has some ways to go....
Which is why I purchased an Integra 3.4, which runs primarily as a perpro feeding my mains/amps, and drives the center and surrounds itself... best my system has ever sounded - due to Dirac

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is why I purchased an Integra 3.4, which runs primarily as a perpro feeding my mains/amps, and drives the center and surrounds itself... best my system has ever sounded - due to Dirac
Good to hear Dirac is doing well in this application. What are you comparing it to? (ps....and how particularly)

Last edited:
OP
A

andrew

What are you driving with your Mini-DSP... how many channels are you seperating out and Crossing over?

What other EQ are you doing on the Mini-DSP (if any)?
I'm using the unit to manage x/o between bass-bins and main speakers, with overall EQ done via filters from Audiolense. No need for Dirac or for subwoofer output from the AVR | Pre-Pro. All I really need is reliable HDMI switching, downmixing and quality pre-outs. Any suggestions?
Yes, my subs are active and amplifiers exist for bass bins and main speakers. As per your post, I'm thinking that all I need is an AVR that has pre-outs that measure well. I was hoping for balanced outputs but these seem to be reserved for high-end Pre-Pro which, with some notable exceptions, , come at a premium price with comparatively poor performance. Thus the thought to use a Denon XH3700.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the unit to manage x/o between bass-bins and main speakers, with overall EQ done via filters from Audiolense. No need for Dirac or for subwoofer output from the AVR | Pre-Pro. All I really need is reliable HDMI switching, downmixing and quality pre-outs. Any suggestions?

Yes, my subs are active and amplifiers exist for bass bins and main speakers. As per your post, I'm thinking that all I need is an AVR that has pre-outs that measure well. I was hoping for balanced outputs but these seem to be reserved for high-end Pre-Pro which, with some notable exceptions, , come at a premium price with comparatively poor performance. Thus the thought to use a Denon XH3700.

I don't know exactly how you would interconnect the AVR with the other devices but keep in mind if what you plan on doing require bypassing the Denon's internal ADC/DSP/DAC block is to use its analog input and select direct or pure direct mode.

Top Bottom