• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on a change of direction

andrew

Our main system comprises of a 12’ x 16’ room with bass traps in the four corners and an active speaker system made up of a pair of Unity Horns on top of sealed 18” mid-/bass bins that reside in the front left / right corners. The system is controlled with cross-over (at 300Hz), time-alignment and room correction built into filters generated off measurements using Audiolense software. Some of the aspects of the system that I enjoy the bass / mid-bass, dynamics and clarity but there is an issue with the resolution of the horns and, more recently, I’ve been experiencing issues with the compression driver on the horns which sees the highs stop / start at times.

So, with no time to much about with DIY etc., I am considering moving on to a store bought system and after some advice as to how to think about the move. My current thinking is to keep the bass bins – as the quality of the bass / mid-bass is better than I’ve experienced with smaller drivers – and just replace the Unity Horn. All I’d need to do is generate a new set of filters for the cross-over, time alignment and room correction. Presto. I do have class A/B amplification for the main speaker but would be happy with a powered pro-audio monitor such as Adam S3V or Neumann KH310 etc..

Any thoughts or advice?

Top Bottom