• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on 2.1 ensemble

lari

Hi, I am in a transition phase where I leave my wireless active Dynaudio XEO 20 to build a new 2.1 audio ensemble.

Ideally I would like to have the choice of each component in the chain, which excludes an integrated amp.
I made a schema of what I thought, and before pushing the button I would like some advice :)

Systeme_hifi.jpg

What I have
- The Chord Qutest DAC
- The subwoofer
Not present here, but I already have a MiniDSP DDRC-24 with Dirac Live. I don’t want to keep it because it uses its own DAC.

What I don’t have
- The Kef R3’s
- An amp. Reading some threads, the Rega Elex-R seems a good one and wouldn’t make the use of the external DAC redundant. I also have an eye on a second-hand Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Sparkos Edition for 1150 €.
- A DAC just for the sub, the SHD Studio.

What I like
- This setup allows the integration of the sub through the SHD Studio.
- The SHD studio being the only SHD full digital, it doesn’t add a redudant A/D conversion and allows the use of my own DAC.
- Dirac Live for room correction

What I don’t like
Ideally I would have replaced the SHD Studio with a Dirac Live Suite license on the PC and I would have plugged the sub behind the Chord Qutest DAC instead of buying another one. But the Qutest only has 2 outputs.

About what I don’t like
Is it possible to have a split RCA for each output (Left, Right) behind the Chord Qutest DAC? That would give me 2 left and 2 right outputs, saving me from buying a cheap DAC just for the sub.
Is this schema relevant to you? Is there a way to optimize it? About Dirac Live on PC, would it be possible to avoid the purchase of the SHD Studio while having this setup?

Last edited:
OP
L

lari

After a bit of reflection, I may have gone a bit far.
Dirac Live doesn’t make a distinction between a speaker and a subwoofer so I think I can avoid having a MiniDSP in the chain with a dedicated output for the sub and install Dirac Live on the PC.
I came up with a simplified and more economic setup.
Systeme_hifi_simple.jpg

Last edited:

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just buy a SHD Power and enjoy the music.

sojun80

I just took an AIYIMA D03 with subwoofer out...paired it with a couple of moukey speakers (yep cheap but clear) and a monster crazy subwoofer cuz that's how I roll. Ah you want dirac, fair enough. Dirac ruins my bass :)

OP
L

lari

I just took an AIYIMA D03 with subwoofer out...paired it with a couple of moukey speakers (yep cheap but clear) and a monster crazy subwoofer cuz that's how I roll. Ah you want dirac, fair enough. Dirac ruins my bass :)
I have to try how the R3’s sound without Dirac but after trying it on the Dynaudio XEO 20’s + KC62 I can’t go back :(

txbdan

If a PC is your source, you can run Dirac software on the PC which opens up a ton of good DAC options including keeping what you have.

Top Bottom