• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice New Studio Monitor.

erniefrequency

Hi.
I'm trying to buy my new pairs monitors. I'm looking something under 180USD / Specially between 130 to 150.
I'm going to produce Electronic Music and Mix, speacially Techno, Dub Techno.

My alternative buying choices are

JBL 305P Mkii (2nd Gen)
Eris Presonus e5 Xt
Mackie MR524
If you hava any advice let me know, and why.

I was trying to get LSR 305 (But is really difficult on my country get them)

Thanks (Y)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Entry-level 5" monitors tend not to be the very last word when it comes to bass reproduction, just saying. I imagine you'd want something a little bigger for a genre like dub techno.

My #2 after the JBLs would probably be the MR524, which have generally gotten favorable reviews and are reasonably civil when it comes to unwanted noises (some transformer buzz, but hardly any hiss). (You should just watch out for bad apples with hardly any woofer output - the perils of inexpensive made-in-China speakers.) However, if you could stretch the budget to the 6.5" class (e.g. MR624 or Kali LP6) you'd probably be happier long-term.

Last edited:

hyperplanar

Given your budget, I haven't seen any evidence that the 305P can be beat. Start with that and add the LSR310S subwoofer later. Unfortunately for electronic music the sub is needed to be able to clearly hear what you're doing. I was never happy with how my mixes translated until I added a sub. And room correction.

Promit

In my eyes there are only two serious competitors in the low end studio monitor space: JBL and Adam. I don't think you can get into the Adam T5V at your price point, so JBL wins by default.

hyperplanar

In my eyes there are only two serious competitors in the low end studio monitor space: JBL and Adam. I don't think you can get into the Adam T5V at your price point, so JBL wins by default.
I don't think Adam is known for neutral frequency response or good directivity. Maybe the T5Vs are different, but my experience with the A7Xs was very negative.

As far as I'm aware, some studio monitors that stand out in their price ranges are (ordered by increasing price): JBL LSR305/305P, Yamaha HS7, Neumann KH80/KH120, Genelec 8030C/8040B, Genelec 8341A/8351B, D&D 8C, Kii Threes.

Last edited:
OP
E

erniefrequency

i decided to add more budget.
I want to buy a Adam Audio Monitor T7V, but I don’t know if it’s correct for my room size. I have to say this room is the same that I have to sleep.

4Mts (D) x 2,90 Mts (W) x 2,10 Mts (H)

For my room size is necessary 5 inch or 7 inch Monitor (ADAM T SERIES)
I would like the 7 for a long terms. It’s for techno music production.

T7V is good for Mix or T5V is enough for mix?

Do you have any brands suggestion monitor?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Don't forget Kali Audio. Cheap and great.

3125b

Major Contributor
I own a pair of MR524, they are fairly quiet in the sense of unwanted noise as @AnalogSteph mentions.
They are less neutral than the JBLs, base resonances can be a problem depending on the positioning.
I don't particularly like the T5V, they have accentuated yet colored mids in my opinion, but many people seem to enjoy them.
Tannoys coaxial drivers don't go deep enough, the cheaper Behringer models sound quite bad as you might expect for the price.
I also don't like KRK RoKit RP, they are base heavy and muddled, as well as the EVE Audio SC20X (but they are way over budget anyway).
For your use case, something bigger or paired with a sub might be better suited - but does usually come at a price.
I really like the Focal Alpha 65 and think they could be an option for you. They are however bulky (for 6.5" woofers) and over budget.
The Kali Audio LP-6 could also be an option, I haven't heard them yet. The JBL 306P might also be interesting if you can still find them at a decent price, as well as Presonus R65 (a bit over budget), Fluid Audio offers some cheaper options.
Speakers too large aren`t ideal with a very close sitting position. There are however some very cheap models like the Prodipe Pro 8 or M-Audio BX8 wich I can tell you noting about.
In the end, a lot of it comes down to personal preferance and room conditions. If you have the ability to test several different speakers, you should absolutely do that.

Top Bottom