• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice Needed: Sonus Faber Soneta V vs Revel F206

jadenphan

Hi all,

I’m debating between Revel F206 and center channel which would cost about 4.5k, versus used Sonus Faber Soneta V and matching center for $4k that I can get from a local store. I was able to audition SF but not the Revel, so I can’t tell which sounds I like better.
What is your opinion? :)

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I’m debating between Revel F206 and center channel which would cost about 4.5k, versus used Sonus Faber Soneta V and matching center for $4k that I can get from a local store. I was able to audition SF but not the Revel, so I can’t tell which sounds I like better.
What is your opinion? :)

Which Revel center, the C205 or C208?

What is your use case? Mostly music? Mostly home theater? How big is the room? Do you really crank it up loud?

OP
J

jadenphan

Which Revel center, the C205 or C208?

What is your use case? Mostly music? Mostly home theater? How big is the room? Do you really crank it up loud?
C208! Mostly Home Theater, room is about 9x12x15. I do play at a slightly loud level.

Beave

Major Contributor
Do you have a subwoofer or two? What AVR/amp do you use?

I think the towers might come down to personal preference. But I'd guess the C208 is clearly better than the Sonus Faber center.

OP
J

jadenphan

Do you have a subwoofer or two? What AVR/amp do you use?

I think the towers might come down to personal preference. But I'd guess the C208 is clearly better than the Sonus Faber center.
I am using Denon X3600H and Nc252mp amp.
The center comes with Sonetto is the 3 way Center II. Do you think it still comes up short compared to the C208?

Beave

Major Contributor
I am using Denon X3600H and Nc252mp amp.
The center comes with Sonetto is the 3 way Center II. Do you think it still comes up short compared to the C208?

Probably so, yeah. It's a 3 way center, but with two midranges to the sides of the tweeter, so it's a WMTMW layout. Horizontal dispersion is better when the tweeter and any midrange are vertically stacked, not horizontally spread out. Stacking them vertically, like the Revel C208, makes the center speaker undesirably tall, but it's best for horizontal dispersion assuming you can fit it where you need. The Sonus Faber layout is a compromise to keep the speaker wide but not too tall.

OP
J

jadenphan

Here's a link to a review, with some measurements, of the bookshelf version of the Sonus Faber Sonettos:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-ii-measurements-now-with-a-spinorama.10727/

The hot high treble seems to be a common feature of the Sonetto lineup. Do you like that, or do you prefer a flat response in the high treble?
Do you think the high treble characteristic will make these speakers only good in certain music genres like (jazz, vocal, instrumental, etc)? Will it be good for movies?

OP
J

jadenphan

Probably so, yeah. It's a 3 way center, but with two midranges to the sides of the tweeter, so it's a WMTMW layout. Horizontal dispersion is better when the tweeter and any midrange are vertically stacked, not horizontally spread out. Stacking them vertically, like the Revel C208, makes the center speaker undesirably tall, but it's best for horizontal dispersion assuming you can fit it where you need. The Sonus Faber layout is a compromise to keep the speaker wide but not too tall.
Ah, thank you for the explanation. I think I may have heard about this layout info from Erin before. Hmm, at the current price and discounts from the Revel (4.25k, do you think its in good value?

Beave

Major Contributor
Do you think the high treble characteristic will make these speakers only good in certain music genres like (jazz, vocal, instrumental, etc)? Will it be good for movies?

I wouldn't say certain genres but rather certain recordings. Some people like a little extra high treble - it accentuates detail and "air." Some people are bothered by it. Some people - usually older people - can't hear well at that frequency range and don't notice one way or the other! :)

OP
J

jadenphan

I wouldn't say certain genres but rather certain recordings. Some people like a little extra high treble - it accentuates detail and "air." Some people are bothered by it. Some people - usually older people - can't hear well at that frequency range and don't notice one way or the other! :)
I see. I mostly watch movies and listen to edm. I am just afraid the signature coloration of Sonus Faber, though pleasant as it is, may not be best suited for my needs and usage. Wish we have specific comparable measurement of the Sonetto V to have a clearer look:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom