• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice needed on mid-priced INTEGRATED AMP for classical CD listener with Joseph RM7-si speakers

susanj

Hello again, I am in early 70's (no hearing loss) who has currently Luxman receiver (FM dying/cutting out) and is replacing with integ amp and tuner for FM listening and cd collection of CLASSICALMUSIC and OPERA and JAZZ. ( I have not yet subscribed to streaming.) I have Joseph RM7 speakers and hope they last. I have been recommended to the Rotel A12 (clearer sound) and Rotel T11 tuner, or NAD 368 (for softer sound?) and Bluesound Node. Cost difference as Rotel on sale for $799 and NAD $1199. I live in NYC in small apartment so sound will be in living room not elsewhere. I don't want fancy or bells/whistles, I don't do loud pounding music, that's why I was directed away from receivers 7.2 channels to integrated amplifiers.

I want to enjoy my music and possibly also hook up my tv which is sound compromised (if that is possible but not necessary!). I am NOT doing surround sound or home theater.
Thanks!

REK2575

Probably just stating the obvious, but you'll want an integrated amp. with an optical/Toslink in if you want to tie your TV into the system. The Rotel A12 has you covered there, but the A11 does not.

I'd recommend taking a good look at the Yamaha A-S501 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS501S/Yamaha-A-S501-Silver.html

I have a Rotel preamp + power amp for my 2.1 setup, but for my "AV" tv setup I just have a Yamaha A-S301 and love it. The Yamaha integrated amps are very competively priced, very reliable. The A-S501 is considerably less expensive than the Rotel A12 and, I'd wager, just as good.

EDIT - forgot to mention that my listening profile matches yours: Mostly classical, incl. opera, and jazz.

Chazz6

I had the Yamaha A-S501. Certainly passable, although a little bright in my opinion. Comparing specs, I believe the 501 is well worth it over their 301, and that the 801 for considerably more money is not that much better. However, I replaced it with a Quicksilver Integrated tube amp and a JDS Atom DAC. I found the Quicksilver used at around 40 percent discount from its current $2495 list price.

OP
S

susanj

At this point I really only care about which amp to purchase the Rotel A12 or NAD 368 for listening with my Joseph speakers AND classical, jazz, opera and then which TUNER for the FM? Rotel T11 I thought as tuner? But it's the amp that I am concerned and price is $799 Rotel and NAD is $1199. The Rotel A12 is on sale currently for $799.

Top Bottom