• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice needed: moving to class D

mjcmt

I wouldn't buy into tubes nowadays. There are too many disadvantages compared to solid state amplifiers (higher price, shorter longevity of tubes, very often much higher distortion).
That's crazy talk. I have a full tube integrated amp I've been using for 3 years and never replaced a tube yet. And it sounds beautiful making instruments float in front of you with a soundstage that is massive.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's crazy talk. I have a full tube integrated amp I've been using for 3 years and never replaced a tube yet. And it sounds beautiful making instruments float in front of you with a soundstage that is massive.
I see no contradiction between your statement and @LTig ’s, yet you call his ‘crazy talk’.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a fact that tubes have a lifetime of 5000 to 100000 hours depending on the brand, model and type (often mil-spec tubes last a lot longer). It's also a fact that the vast majority of tube amplifiers measure worse than the average semiconductor amp, never mind a decent class-D design such as Hypex Ncore or Prurity. And I'm willing to bet your amp was more expensive than one of those as well, so what makes it crazy talk?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's crazy talk. I have a full tube integrated amp I've been using for 3 years and never replaced a tube yet.
3 years is not a long time. There are many solid state amps from the 70'ies which still work fine without replacing transistors. Wouldn't work with tubes.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a less expensive option, the Aiyima A07 is quite a good unit, even used with its standard 32v/5a power supply. I have been running mine for about 4 months now and I'm quite impressed with it, compared to my earlier D amps (SMSL SA-50, many DIY 3116 and 3118 builds). No tone controls, though. I use mine with one of the RCA AV switch units so I can plug in multiple sources at one time. To get additional gain and tone controls, you could always combine with a good preamp, I have an older Nikko that I use for this purpose.

That Marantz does look better, from a styling standpoint, than many other of their current offerings.

You may want something a little more up the chain from the A07 for your main system amp, but keep it in mind for secondary systems. It's a good little unit, and the power supply is fine, as are the standard op-amps, IMO.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sorry to be dumb, but how does this differ from other TPA3255 devices like the one I linked above at AliExpress? It looks good, though!
Performance and price - I don't think we've seen a Brzhifi device tested, but based on the price it'll be similar to the A07 if you're lucky, and possibly worse. Compare the measurements for the A07 and the JL Electronics and you'll see differences both in distortion and in sensitivity of top end frequency response to load impedance. This is at least in part due to JL Electronics using post-filter feedback while Aiyima don't. Whether the change in performance is worth the change in price is a judgement call - the JL Electronics one is closer to the low end of the nCore offerings for both price and performance, so it's really a different segment of the market.

mjcmt

It's a fact that tubes have a lifetime of 5000 to 100000 hours depending on the brand, model and type
To clarify I'm not anti-class D and I'm considering the Rogue Audio Sphinx v3 hybrid amp.

Buy those hours, that's 3-12 years on the power tubes depending how much the amp is used. Preamp tubes last even longer. When they wear out I can try a tube with a different flavor of sound if I'd like. In that time the current Class D will be obsolete while my tube amp is still viable and marketable.

Joe Smith

Wow, that Marantz Model 30 is pretty pricey. Nice, but woof...up there, for 100 wpc.

Jdunk54nl

Wow, that Marantz Model 30 is pretty pricey. Nice, but woof...up there, for 100 wpc.
You could get nearly 12 channels of buckeye 502mp's (500w @4 ohms or 350w @ 8ohm) for that price! Or 16 channels of 252mps (250w @ 4 ohms or 150w @ 8ohm)!

mjcmt

3 years is not a long time.
3 years at a minimum to 12 years is plenty long for me. It's part of the enjoyment of this hobby. I get to tweak to my hearts content if I choose to.

Jdunk54nl

3 years at a minimum to 12 years is plenty long for me. It's part of the enjoyment of this hobby. I get to tweak to my hearts content if I choose to.
Lets not make this into a tube vs non tube amp thread. Not what the OP wants to know.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, reluctantly defending my position from attacks. Thanks, I'll move on.
Attacks??? Just hard facts, as far as I can see. What anyone deduces from those facts is not my concern.

OP
B

Bob21

Sorry for the delay replying everyone. It’s been a little manic at work what with the ridiculous fuel situation in the U.K. right now.

I would not trust the Alibaba that the unit OP linked to have an unearthed chassis.

Agreed. If I did go for that for a smaller setup, I would change the IEC connector, and attach the earth lead to the chassis.

You may want something a little more up the chain from the A07 for your main system amp, but keep it in mind for secondary systems. It's a good little unit, and the power supply is fine, as are the standard op-amps, IMO.

Thanks, I’ll consider that. I hadn’t thought of a preamp, but I might struggle in the locations I would use the Aiyima 07 to plug in many devices. Bedrooms, kitchen etc. I’ll already have the amp and the Acrylic device. I know there’s always extension leads but they have to be concealed somewhere. Shame this kind of stuff isn’t all 5V.. a power block would do it!

Performance and price - I don't think we've seen a Brzhifi device tested, but based on the price it'll be similar to the A07 if you're lucky, and possibly worse. Compare the measurements for the A07 and the JL Electronics and you'll see differences both in distortion and in sensitivity of top end frequency response to load impedance. This is at least in part due to JL Electronics using post-filter feedback while Aiyima don't. Whether the change in performance is worth the change in price is a judgement call - the JL Electronics one is closer to the low end of the nCore offerings for both price and performance, so it's really a different segment of the market.

What is post-filter feedback? Why is it a good thing?

Anyone know of a buckeye source in the UK?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Anyone know of a buckeye source in the UK?

Buckeye is a US brand that makes a range of Hypex based amplifiers, so you won't necessarily find them in the UK.

However there are several other brands dotted around the world that produce similar amps:

Nord in the UK: https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nord-one-hypex-ncore-mpxxx-stereo-p
Adiophonics in France: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-amplifier-c-6306.html/s-44/brand_2-audiophonics
Apollon, I'm not exactly sure where from, but somewhere in Europe: https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-amplifiers/

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Buckeye is a US brand that makes a range of Hypex based amplifiers, so you won't necessarily find them in the UK.

However there are several other brands dotted around the world that produce similar amps:

Nord in the UK: https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nord-one-hypex-ncore-mpxxx-stereo-p
Adiophonics in France: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-amplifier-c-6306.html/s-44/brand_2-audiophonics
Apollon, I'm not exactly sure where from, but somewhere in Europe: https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-amplifiers/
Apollon is in Slovenia, so easy for all EU citizens. Since UK is not EU anymore, Nord would be the logical choice.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Apollon is in Slovenia, so easy for all EU citizens. Since UK is not EU anymore, Nord would be the logical choice.
Technically no, but the UK didn't go anywhere geographically. :)

I think Audiophonics still work out cheaper for amps based on the equivalent Hypex module when compared to those from either Nord or Apollon.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Technically no, but the UK didn't go anywhere geographically. :)

I think Audiophonics still work out cheaper for amps based on the equivalent Hypex module when compared to those from either Nord or Apollon.
Geographically, no. But taxes and customs is another matter.

Low price indeed Audiophonics wins. But on a higher quality build and parts, both Apollon and BoXem are the best as far as I know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom