• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice: NAD C388 vs Bluesound Powernode 2i vs SMSL M300 MKII + AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC

nubcaek

Hi all,

I am very ignorant when it comes to audio, and usually I even struggle to hear the difference between two different amplifiers. However, my ears do appreciate good natural sound a lot. When being advised by a local hifi retailer, I could only hear a marginal difference between a NAD c338 and C368, but I would be lying if I said I heard the difference between the NAD C368 and C388.

Old situation:
Recently I had a NAD T748 v2 + two Dali Zensor 5's set up in stereo for music, plus added Dali Zensor Vokal for movies. However, I could not get around to the fact that I was literally annoyed with the lack of user friendly-ness of the T748 and sometimes it even felt underpowered for the speakers. I often tend to stream music via e.g. my chromecast, but I always had to configure the right channel back and forth when listening to music and watching a movie. I also have zero intention of adding more wired speakers, thus I decided to sell it. On the basis of that preference I also sold my center.

That brings me to the desired to-be new situation.

Desired situation:
In the desired situation, I would like to connect an amplifier to my existing Dali zensor 5's, and potentially expand to multi-room audio in the future whereby I can stream music whenever I want and the setup should seamlessly switch to my TV once I decide to turn that on.

On the basis of my research, I came to the conclusion that the bluesound streaming speaker family must be the top of the line - within the limits of my budget. Hence, my first conclusion was to connect an NAD C388 to the speakers so that I could always expand to either 'surround-ish' or multi-room. However, I felt like I would be paying too much, and I got a bad feeling based on the reviews and user-experiences I read here and there. Then, the Powernode 2i crossed my path, but I have doubts that it will be able to sufficiently drive the Zensor 5's. So, to top it off, on this wonderful forum I came across a DAC that received some nice comments and an AMP that apparently rocks.

To list my options:

1. NAD C388 - 1250 euro's new. Add 500 for BluOs module for multi-room, ending up at 1750.
2. Bluesound Powernode - 900 euro's new, ready to go.
3. SMSL M300 MKII + Audiophonics MPA-S250NC - 750 euro's new. Add 550 for a Node 2i, ending up at 1300 ready to go.

My gut feeling tells me going for option 3 will hit me a home-run, whereby I might even never have to consider multi-room as the power will be sufficient to fill my entire appartment with music. However, I cannot shake off the feeling that option 2 buys me a one-stop solution, whereas option 1 does this with better performance, albeit for double the price.

I am happy to be educated on this topic, so please do share your views and opinion.

Thanks !

Netwalker

I have the Bluesound Powernode 2i. I have be using it to run my Dali Opticon 6 with no problems.
Now I use it to run a pair og smaller Dali and upgraded the Amp for the Opticon 6 to Nad C658/C268. That too have Bluesound and it all run together and sounds amazing.
I would go for the Powernode if I was You.

OP
N

nubcaek

Hey Netwalker, thanks for the comment - I appreciate it. That is quite impressive actually.

How is the upgrade from the Powernode 2i to the NAD C658/C268 - massive upgrade ? Whats the major difference ?

Vivek

Forum Donor
Having used the powernode 2i with CM7 and heard it with Lyngdorf FR1 ( which was heavenly) . I will wholeheartedly recommend powernode with the zensor 5

thetrystero

Curious which option did you end up going with? I'm also considering option 3, albeit without the node as I'll going the raspberry pi route and also possible smsl su8 v2 as there are no measurements of the m300 milk on asr yet

Top Bottom