• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice Matrix Audio

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
Hi,
I'm currently looking into building a new stereo setup. The idea is to use a Dac as a preamplifier for a Purify amp.
Getting into the details I'm struggling between few options. Initially I figured out to take an Okto stereo but sold out for months. Gustard X16 looks fine for far less money but I don't trust the volume control or discussions around popping noises on shut down etc.
I have seen a Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro for 900 euros. Although it seems it has been developed a couple of years ago, the measurements seem to be still state of the art.
The design is also far better than a Gustard so does it make sense to choose such a used old MA over less expensive new Dacs from Gustard X16 or Smsl Su9?

My criteria was XLR out; usb, toslink and ethernet in. I don't care about MQA, nor analog in, nor headphone amplifier.
MiniDsp SHD is too expensive 1700 euros for what I need.
I think I saw in a thread that @amirm still uses the MA so I thought it might be worth considering it for under 1000 euros opportunities?

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
If I were you, I'd get one of these: Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
I have a few Topping DACS (2 x D50s - singled ended output only and a D90 - single ended & Balanced outputs). They all work incredibly well. I use them all as pre-amps feeding power amps or active speakers. Never had any issues with volume control or any pops/noises. I don't think you'll go far wrong with the D30Pro (I'm not affiliated with Topping in any way)

I also have one of these which I can recommend. No issues with this either, since the initial firmware update over a year ago. The extra USB in I find useful and the digital out is handy for feeding my Genelec 8341As: SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum. Note that the "ESS" hump issue was fixed early on. Buy new stock and that won't be any issue. Great support from the designer @Ben1987 too

All of these DACs sound exactly same: completely transparent.

OP
N

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
Topping has been on my radar too. I must admit that if they all perform the same I tend to compare the design and Topping is really not my favourite.
I will check details about Soncoz. Thanks

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The design is also far better than a Gustard so does it make sense to choose such a used old MA over less expensive new Dacs from Gustard X16 or Smsl Su9?
It makes sense if you can afford it. You won't hear anything different between all three, anyway. Your may go by aesthetics and features you need. 900€ for a X-Sabre Pro is for sure a fair price.

Note that if you want to use a DAC as preamp, output voltage may matter. The SU-9 outputs 5.3V, the X16 4.1V and the X-Sabre Pro 4.4V. Volume adjustment will be significant also. The more volume cranks you get, the more precise is the preamp.

OP
N

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
Note that if you want to use a DAC as preamp, output voltage may matter. The SU-9 outputs 5.3V, the X16 4.1V and the X-Sabre Pro 4.4V. Volume adjustment will be significant also. The more volume cranks you get, the more precise is the preamp.
I will download the manuals to get some insights on volume control. The whole thing is that this is a mixed setup for Tv and music. It must be easy and safe for the speakers, under operation by the whole family.

OP
N

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
Couldn't find any information in the manuals. Soncoz is no longer on the list, it must be possible to use a remote to power on/off the machine.
What I still don't understand is how to choose between the chips.
ES9038pro seems to be the former flagship and therefore expensive chip with 8 channels so that 4 channels get allocated to each path (Okto 8 stereo, Matrix....
ES9038Q2M is far less expensive (1/2 price)....newer... with 1 channel ? per path but it measures identical today to 9038pro.
And than there is SMSL D1 with 2x ES9038PRO with 8 channels per path. What's the point ? It doesn't seem to help to top an ES9038Q2M ?!

Is it correct to assume that you pay more because of the former "flagship" stamp of these chips without better performance, putting aside exclusive features/design?
I mentioned the SU-9, thereby ignoring the M400, but why should I consider it? Identical performance, two different chips, and clearly not the same price. Do I miss something ??

What' next: Dual AK4499, just for fun....

Top Bottom