• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for second set of speakers similar in performance/price to Elac DBR-62s?

thetrystero

I've just completed my setup as follows in the living room Netflix (30%) and Music (70%):
Elac DBR-62
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR
Topping D30 Pro
Volumio on RPi (Tidal HiFi, Spotify Premium, Qobuz)

As a first audiophine setup, I am beyond pleased. Very very happy with it.

I'm looking for a similar (but different) setup for the bedroom. I think the speakers will be where I'd be able to most audibly pick out differences so I'd likely stick to all the same components except the speakers as I'd like to explore a different sound signature. This will be for both Netflix (30%) and Music (70%) as well.
what would make sense in a similar price/performance bracket as the DBR-62s? I'm considering the Revel M16s, which are quite a bit more in price (around USD300 more) but nevertheless the closest in performance to the Elacs I could find here on ASR. I wouldn't mind ponying up a bit more for the KEF LS50 Meta just for the looks, but it's not up there in terms of performance. And the R3 seems to underperform as well.
Regarding the M16, I'm hesitant because from what I've read they're pretty similar, so it might not make sense for me to spend more for the same. I suppose I could downgrade to the Unifi 2.0 if they're not that much different than the DBR62 to save a bit (albeit not much). Apart from that, I can't really think about any other options.
I'm sure I'd be happy to stick with the DBR-62s, but as I mentioned here, ideally I'd be able to try out something similar in a similar price/performance ratio to the DBR-62 to broaden my experience of the different signatures available out there.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've just completed my setup as follows in the living room Netflix (30%) and Music (70%):
Elac DBR-62
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR
Topping D30 Pro
Volumio on RPi (Tidal HiFi, Spotify Premium, Qobuz)

As a first audiophine setup, I am beyond pleased. Very very happy with it.

I'm looking for a similar (but different) setup for the bedroom. I think the speakers will be where I'd be able to most audibly pick out differences so I'd likely stick to all the same components except the speakers as I'd like to explore a different sound signature. This will be for both Netflix (30%) and Music (70%) as well.
what would make sense in a similar price/performance bracket as the DBR-62s? I'm considering the Revel M16s, which are quite a bit more in price (around USD300 more) but nevertheless the closest in performance to the Elacs I could find here on ASR. I wouldn't mind ponying up a bit more for the KEF LS50 Meta just for the looks, but it's not up there in terms of performance. And the R3 seems to underperform as well.
Regarding the M16, I'm hesitant because from what I've read they're pretty similar, so it might not make sense for me to spend more for the same. I suppose I could downgrade to the Unifi 2.0 if they're not that much different than the DBR62 to save a bit (albeit not much). Apart from that, I can't really think about any other options.
I'm sure I'd be happy to stick with the DBR-62s, but as I mentioned here, ideally I'd be able to try out something similar in a similar price/performance ratio to the DBR-62 to broaden my experience of the different signatures available out there.
I have the DBR62s in my living room system, but in the bedroom, I use two ancient Advents and a nearly as antique Teac receiver. If I ever upgrade the bedroom playback system, it'll be another pair of the Elacs. I like them that much. I'm inclined to spend more on speakers and less on electronics -- providing the speakers will accept the electronics' output.

I'd probably employ just one subwoofer in the bedroom.

But this is just me. Once I find a speaker model I love (well past its honeymoon), I become loyal to it. I've been through way too many speakers I didn't like, not to respect finally finding a pair I respect. YMMV.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Kali IN-8 V2 Should be perfect for the price.
Getting some active speaker may be interesting to explore. They don't play too loud but may be alright for a bedroom. Kali LP-6/LP-8 v2 is a good candidate too and they aren't that expensive.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8-v2-2nd-wave-studio-monitors-released.27557/

Another candidate would be a Whaferdale 12.1 (or 12.2). It got a good review here it would be interesting to see if you like their BBC dip.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...wharfedale-diamond-12-1-review-speaker.26780/

I haven't heard any of these speaker myself, just throwing some ideas for something different from what you have already.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
what would make sense in a similar price/performance bracket as the DBR-62s?
Polk R200. See Napilopez review.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Hi @thetrystero

I am not sure I understand
(a) how the Revel M16s are "closest in performance to the Elacs",
(b) how the KEF LS50 Metas are "not up there in terms of performance",
(c) how the KEF R3s "underperform" (underperform where?), and
(d) why you have shortlisted 3 pairs of speakers for your bedroom which are more expensive than your living room ones.

If you can afford the Revel M16 or the KEF LS50 Meta or the KEF R3, why not buy them for your living room and move the DBR-62 to the bedroom?

Regards,
gsp

Timstunes

Forum Donor
KEF Q150, SVS Prime, Wharfendale 12.1, Polk R200, Emotiva T1.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since my previous reply, I replaced the Advents in the bedroom with the displaced pair of RP600M Klipsches driven by a Denon PMA600NE. The Klipsch's and Denon are OK for me for low-level, uncritical listening. But knowing what I do now, I would buy a pair of the Revel M16s to replace the Klipsch's. Maybe some metal head will buy them used and rock out. Then, I would hold an audition for the top spot in the living room between the Elacs and the Revels.

Based on measurements and reviews, the Elacs and Revels are similar and fairly reasonably priced. My ears alone would be the judge -- and it would probably depend a lot on the placement and dispersion patterns. I am not finding any fault with the Elacs, even after almost two years. And a 150 watt/channel amp powers them cleanly.

Why not opt for larger speakers? In my case, my living room is largely glass on two walls, so I'm not interested in an "audio overcast" in front of the windows. And two subs carry the bottom end. -Just one man's view.

Top Bottom