• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for replacement of preamp

1ply

My B&K Components, Ltd, Reference 20 preamp died.

It was connected to a Carver M-1.0t mkII opt002 Restored and Upgraded amp. Together they powered Tekton Design Pendragon Full Tower speakers. My room is a large great room with vaulted ceilings.

I need a recommendation for a replacement for the preamp, but freely admit, I am greatly confused. I listen to CDs and to Spotify via my iPhone 13 and my computer.

I assume I need a DAC? Do I need a preamp in addition to a DAC? Is there a combination DAC and preamp that you would recommend?

My budget is about $2,000.00.

I was attracted to the NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review until I read amirm’s very helpful review.

I am attracted to the Topping DM7 because it meets my present needs and those in the foreable future (actuarial tables give me another 15 years).

Willem

Major Contributor
RME ADI-2, a DAC and preamp all in one, and with all the classic preamp functionality of volume, tone and balance controls, dynamic loudness, filters, and more. Auto reference level for best S/N at different volume settings. It has balanced and unbalanced outputs, and two different levels of headphone output. It measures with the best, and built quality and support are superb.

Open Mind Audio

@Willem's suggestion is one I have not tried but would like to. I can vouch for the Topping Pre90, an analog preamp. You can find some excellent reviews and appraisals both here at ASR and elsewhere (see @Kal Rubinson's review for Stereophile), and it is a good bargain. Mine is strictly used for streaming Roon and JRiver, serving a Class A/B amp. If you get the extender module, you can add plenty of additional inputs.

Total endorsement from me with one caveat: The remote doesn't work well from a distance of 7-8 feet or more, and it's pretty finicky at any distance. I've read where others claim to have alleviated the problem with universal remotes or remote extenders, and someday soon I hope to try that out.

Anyway, one of those with the DAC of your choice will set you up for well under $2,000. For $1200 you could get the preamp, extender module, and a very good DAC, based on reviews here at ASR. You'd have no problem running your CD player through the preamp while also streaming from the device of your choice.

P.S. If the separates route seems too complicated, either of these options will offer an integrated amp, DAC, and streamer all-in-one. I prefer the separates route for flexibility, but these are certainly viable options:
Both will give you subwoofer options and appear to measure well. Amir measured the Yammie and the NAD 268 sibling of the 368. I owned the previous iteration of the Yamaha for several years and enjoyed it with a secondary music set-up.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
I don't know why, but my old krell kav 300il integrated had the best preamp I've yet heard, or not heard. If you buy a dac/pre amp the volume control will probably harden up the replay compared to a dedicated pre. I would probably split the money $12-1500 for the pre and $5-700 for the dac. Read up and don't be afraid to buy used, Agon or usam are plentiful, but caution is always recommended buying online.

jae

Major Contributor
You can buy a Wiim pro streamer to replace plugging your phone in (control the streamer from your phone or any computer), and it works with all streaming services. If your CD player has optical out you can plug that into Wiim Pro as well. Pretty sure wiim supports upnp/dlna so you can just setup the server software on your PC and stream wirelessly that way as well. If you wanted to add a DAC to the Wiim digital out that's up to you. NAD basically has a clone of this streamer but costs 3x the price.

RME ADI-2 as a standalone dac/pre is one of the best solutions with lots of useful features and very reliable. Less value for the money there if you don't plan on using stuff like the PEQ and loudness functions, would still suggest buying a streamer regardless.

Something like https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...2x250w-4-ohm-32bit-768khz-dsd256-p-17004.html is an all-in-one unit, replaces your preamp, power amp, includes wireless streamer (based off Wiim). You'd have to determine if the 250 WPC is enough for your speakers/listening environment.

Top Bottom