• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TosicBob

Hello everyone!
I would like to buy a pair of headphones and a dac/amp.
I thought of buying a pair of DT990 Pros and a dac/amp but i read that they're not that good as i knew so i'm here asking for your advice.
I would like to spend 300€ (maybe 30€-50 extra if it helps to get something much better) for the combo of Headphones, dac and amp (or dac/amp)
I will be using them only in house, while gaming and listening to music.
I tried the 990 Pros from a friend and i really like their comfort, so i would like something comfortable and it can be both open or closed back (even tho from what i read, open is better for my usage - soundstage)
I'm from Italy and i would buy everything from amazon.it
Thanks in advance to everyone!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Disclaimer: I haven't heard these headphones myself. They are what I would consider if I was in your situation.

I'd look into the K612, 560S, or HE400se.
What kind of aplification you will need strongly depends on the headphone, so giving a universal recommendation isn't really possible, especially with a constrained budget.

E.g.: The 560S can be driven with the $9 Apple headphone dongle or the $20 Meizu HiFi dongle. The HE400se on the other hand would need considerably more power. The JDS Atom+, Schiit Magni3+, Topping E30, or Geshelli Archel2 GMR would all be appropriate, all of which cost about $100-150.

adama99

I have the HD 560S. It does have a balanced and enjoyable sound and will not require additional amplification.

As you've already experienced, the DT 990 Pro is very comfortable (the Edition model even more so - but stick with the gray earpads). The major complaint about Beyerdynamic headphones is their treble peak, which is definitely present on the DT 990 but affects people differently depending on their individual sensitivities.

If needed, the treble peak is easily fixed via EQ or the use of wool felt in front of the drivers. It's much harder to fix fit or comfort issues, and the DT 990 Edition will definitely be more comfortable than the HD 560S. The DT 990 rates higher on durability, as well.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
drop has their PC38x gaming headset on sale. no dac or amp needed - very easy to drive. u can worry about amp/dac later. say, get Topping EX5 - currently on sale too.

Top Bottom