• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for compact Integrated Amp Dac

Xardas

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum.

In the last few months I've read/watched a lot of reviews (but I'm still very very noob) and listened to some speakers, since I need a compact desktop system (it will be connected only to my computer, and I will use it for desktop listening, and as a general bedroom second system).

I've 99% decided for the speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 (at the beginning I thought I could spend more, but I liked their sound and tonality, so why spend more, for now).

Since on the desk I don't have much more space, I'm looking for a compact Integrated Amp with Dac, and I ask you for some info for that.

At the moment I found:

- PS Audio Sprout 100 (reviews aren't amazing, but it's probably fine for my use)
- NuPrime IDA-8 (more expensive, but I could find it used - I don't know if the sound quality would be better than the Sprout 100)

What do you think about it? Do you have more options I could consider?
I removed the NAD D3045 from the list because reviews are pretty bad, and it's really all plastic.

What I need: usb input, optical input, sub out
What I don't need: bluetooth, headphone jack, remote control

Thank you in advance!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I wouldn't recommend back ported speakers for a desk nor near field all do Diamond 21.1 has a wide horizontal dispersion so it could do fine for such.
There are a lot of active studio near feald monitors and I think you would be better with such, of course front ported (all do I am not keen on such usually).
Best regards.

Last edited:
OP
X

Xardas

Yes I thought about it, but the problem for me for active monitors, is that most of them have a too much analytical sound..I listened to the Genelec G3 and the Neumann KH120, they are both great, but too much revealing, I think I would be fatigued very soon..
With passive speakers it's easier to find a warmer sound and tonality.
What would you suggest?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I thought about it, but the problem for me for active monitors, is that most of them have a too much analytical sound..I listened to the Genelec G3 and the Neumann KH120, they are both great, but too much revealing, I think I would be fatigued very soon..
With passive speakers it's easier to find a warmer sound and tonality.
What would you suggest?
In reality, it would be the opposite. I'd suggest going for the accurate sound and if you can afford the G 3 that would be my choice.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're sure you want passive speakers get a small amp like this <$200 and spring for speakers and a sub

OP
X

Xardas

If you're sure you want passive speakers get a small amp like this <$200 and spring for speakers and a sub
Thank you, the Loxjie A30 seems exactly what I need!

Besides, as staticV3 said, it doesn't make any sense to spend 800eur for the amp and 280eur for the speakers.
This looks like a better combo overall.

Thank you everybody

Top Bottom