• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for Audio Monitors or Studio Monitor

Phon

Hi everybody,

for a few days I have been considering the idea of changing my audio listening from a desktop station. I currently have a pair of Behringer Studio 50 USBs. As an advantage, from my point of view, they have a good noiselessness of amplification and a remarkable sound power, on the other hand they have a low definition, both as a sound detail, and as a timbre on the medium highs or highs ... I find it good to use them as multimedia listening system, but I'm not happy to do some computer music and I'm not happy to listen to some good quality audio tracks ...

The room in which I house the monitors is about 4.5, x 4 - 4.5 is not acoustically treated and the monitors place them very close to the wall. On the sides of the desk (about two meters wide ...) I have two wardrobes, so I get an almost angular station. Listening would be from a desk (close-up), so a 5 "monitor is fine for me (at most I will evaluate the purchase of a sub ...).

At first my choice fell on the Tannoy Gold 5 as they seem like monitors ("hybrids"), they have a flat enough sound to mix some music and at the same time offer a pleasant listening, (perhaps from Hi- Fi entry level ...).

Then, looking around a bit, I also see other products, which make me undecided, from the point of view of sound detail.

I have read positive reviews on the Eve SC 204 and SC 205. On these monitors though, the electronics don't seem to last long ... And here I would like your opinion (if possible, thanks).

Third choice the Focal 50 Evo ... I have some doubts about the tweeter and I don't like those lateral plastic ones (I hope they can be removed ...).

Fourth choice (the most I can aspire to), Genelec 8020D. Here I would start to enter the professional range ... but with a 4 "woofer and a very high cost ... at the limit of my budget ... Here I would have a good monitor for making music, but not for listening to it ... Not I know ... I'm probably wrong ...

In the past I have had all mediocre monitors ... KRK RP5 - Event TR6 (picking up FM radio interference ...), Behringer Truth, Edifier, Presonus Ersi e4.5 (notable background HUM ...).

Honestly, this time I would have focused on Adam Audio AX5, but I see on the site (and in online stores) that they are no longer in production ... If Adam will release a new series I might as well wait, but no one knows when .. Then I understand that Adam has been absorbed by Focusrite .. I don't know, maybe he doesn't sail in good waters .. Even if these times no one is in good waters ...

With this choice I would like to buy a product in which I can finally say that I have a decent product ... If you have other proposals, they are welcome ... Sorry if I was long-winded, thank you.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's your exact budget? And where are you located? That would help narrowing it down for you. :)

OP
P

Phon

Thanks, sorry, I have left out some details ... I live in Italy (northern Italy) and the budget could be around € 800 (preferably below € 1,000). Thanks for the tip on the noise ... Yes, at most I would listen from about 1 meter away ... (with the equilateral triangle ...). I also forgot to mention that I eventually drive the monitors with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (third generation) sound card.

Vict0r

Thanks, sorry, I have left out some details ... I live in Italy (northern Italy) and the budget could be around € 800 (preferably below € 1,000). Thanks for the tip on the noise ... Yes, at most I would listen from about 1 meter away ... (with the equilateral triangle ...). I also forgot to mention that I eventually drive the monitors with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (third generation) sound card.
If you live in Italy, you can order from Thomann. Some interesting options for you would be:

- Neumann KH80DSP (around €900 a pair)
- Genelec 8020 (around €800/€850 a pair)
- Focal Alpha 65EVO (€700 a pair)
- Eve Audio SC205 (€680 a pair)
- Kali Audio IN5 (€650 a pair)
- Kali LP6 2nd Wave (€422 a pair)
- Behringer B2031A (€320 a pair)

I'd research these options, compare comments about their self noise/hiss in a near-field setting, read experiences and find out if there are specific issues, see how they improve with EQ (the B2031A can be EQ'ed very well, for example) and then decide if you really NEED a €900 pair of speakers. :)

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
around € 800 (preferably below € 1,000)

1646301767082.png

JSmith

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Third choice the Focal 50 Evo ... I have some doubts about the tweeter and I don't like those lateral plastic ones (I hope they can be removed ...).
They look and sound great. I've set the HF to -1 dB and that removed a bit of harshness, all subjective of course. Very clear sound. For > 1m listening they are a good choice IMHO.

Vict0r

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I've read that. Don't know really, mine has hiss for sure. I can hear up to 17.5 kHz, so perhaps this is it... They also produce some hum/buzz, barely audible, from the woofer. I've tried disconnecting the RCA but no change. They recommend a minimum distance of 0.4 m, which to me is too close, perhaps from about 0.75 m it's completely inaudible, from 0.4 m it's audible.

Vict0r

I've tried disconnecting the RCA but no change.
Have you tried running them balanced? Maybe you're having a ground loop issue.

EDIT: Oh wait; they have the same issue when they're not connected to anything. Duh. I didn't read properly.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried running them balanced? Maybe you're having a ground loop issue.

EDIT: Oh wait; they have the same issue when they're not connected to anything. Duh. I didn't read properly.
Perhaps amir got the distortion and I got the hiss, fair trade xD

This is too subjective, we should have a measure of hiss, intensity and spectrum, to be really able to compare, IMHO. I can hear the hiss of USB power supplies and LED light bulbs, so perhaps I'm very sensitive to that, and he listened from 0.4 ~ 0.5 m and didn't hear much. This is splitting hairs really.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Yamaha HS8. Cover for listening and studio work. Other high price small driver item are really meant for professional use.

OP
P

Phon

Thanks for the advice and suggestions .. I had also considered the RFC monitors but, being very fussy about aesthetics and design, I exclude a priori Kali, RCF and Yamaha monitors (I can't stand that white cone ...). I know it's wrong but the eye wants its part too ... I'll try to evaluate the used one too ...

kongwee

Major Contributor
For me, I care less about looks for desktop listening than living room listening. I would like to add Fluid Audio FX80 just base on design, but I have no ideal about the sound other than it is DSP coaxial design that it is the same type as my current studio monitor.

Cadence

I have just been searching for opinions on the Yamaha HS7, but read somewhere that they are overhyped as studio monitors, with advice to buy the Kali LP6 instead. I guess the Kali LP6 2nd Wave could be a good and affordable choice, which I am also taking into consideration.

OP
P

Phon

It would be interesting to have an audio monitor equipped with a button (bypass) which, by pressing it, makes it vary from linear monitor to Hi-Fi monitor... :)

Top Bottom