• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for an amplifier Rotel Hypex Purifi Classic?

AnestisMania

Hello beautiful people of Audio science once again i need some help to make a good decision for my future.

let me clarify i know we don't compare equal things. but i want to see what is the best plan of action for the future of my setup. Soo keep that in mind.

So after a long time of searching and looking up and down i didn't find anything that was cheap, in stock, or had some good reviews.

Sure Ncore and Purifi have more than enough reviews measurements and backing to make them a good choice of amplifier (As for models well something with 200w or more). But the price as of right now is not up to what i want to pay.

Yamaha does not have the wattage i want without a lot of money, Crown out of stock almost at all of europe, hypex/Purifi awesome spec but you need a good budget if you want a pair of mono blocks. and rotel? Well what about it? i cant find a damn good review for a specific model anywhere. sure there are 1 or 2 but that's it.

I found out that a friend of mine is selling his rotel rb 1582 mk2 for 750$ and when i go online to search anything on it. nothing. just 2 reviews 1 video that's it. why is this amp shoved under the rug? dose any one have any reviews comments or comparisons?

My budget is around 1000$ TOPS and i don't want to go over a $ more for now do i go for a rotel and just relax for 5 years or just get some more money and go for a hypex setup to have a good set of monoblocks for years to come.

(Also IOM Classic my god i wanted a pair those Vu Metters... just love but 2000$ for a pair.. nope)

(And Appolo makes some awesome stuff and yeah... ill take all the extras for a wooping 4000$ jesus) (found out also a pair of apollon nc1200 slm for 2100$ used but still so much money)

Thank you for your time and have an awesome day

Links:

(Hypex): https://www.soundimports.eu/en/hypex-nc400-94813975.html

(Hypex): Appolo version: https://www.apollonaudio.com/hypex-nc1200-monoblock-amplifier-apollon-audio-nc1200slm/

(Hypex): IOM Classic: https://internetofmusic.nl/product/iom-classic/

Rotel: https://www.rotel.com/product/rb-1582-mkii
Putifi: https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vt...et400a-amplifier-with-vtv-vacuum-tube-buffer/

My setup:
Speakers: B&W 604 S3
PreAmp: yamaha wxc-50
Amp: Vincent SV-238 (dont have it anymore :( sold it because i didn't have space but it was awesome)

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You will not hear any difference between em... but... you can look at that gorgeous VU all night long

front2-350x277.jpg

JSmith

Master Contributor
rb 1582 mk2
Rotel RB-1582 II, measurements
Ncore;

JSmith

diddley

Forum Donor
The NAD 389 with module Bluos it's a complete streamer but a little bit above budget, but nice specs

zermak

The Rotel amp you have mentioned was measured here and performs quite poorly: 0,75% THD+N at 5W into 4 ohm load, eyeballing the graph, which translates into a 62-ish dB SINAD (using Amir standard). It was tested together with the Rotel preamp tho (but probably the limiting factor is still the amp itself).

OP
AnestisMania

AnestisMania

The Rotel amp you have mentioned was measured here and performs quite poorly: 0,75% THD+N at 5W into 4 ohm load, eyeballing the graph, which translates into a 62-ish dB SINAD (using Amir standard). It was tested together with the Rotel preamp tho (but probably the limiting factor is still the amp itself).
Question how does that translates to real life though? Yeah the performance is quite poor when it comes to the measurements but in reality what we expect when we look at those 2 measurements

zermak

Looking at the FFT graph (NB: it misses the output power info but if the profile stays the same regarding the output power) it looks like the amp is noise dominated: the 2nd harmonic is in fact at about -85dB while the 3rd is already at -92dB and so on.
If the translator works correctly it seems the pre has a 104dB dynamic range at 0dBFS so again, the amp is the limiting factor, noise-wise.
You could play with Distort (by our member @pkane) to try to mimic the profile of that amp and listen to it with your best gear (maybe a SOTA headphones amp and a good pair of low distortion headphones/IEMs).
Performance wise there are way better amps but here the limiting factor is the noise so peraphs it will be buried in the music and you won't notice it.

OP
AnestisMania

AnestisMania

Looking at the FFT graph (NB: it misses the output power info but if the profile stays the same regarding the output power) it looks like the amp is noise dominated: the 2nd harmonic is in fact at about -85dB while the 3rd is already at -92dB and so on.
If the translator works correctly it seems the pre has a 104dB dynamic range at 0dBFS so again, the amp is the limiting factor, noise-wise.
You could play with Distort (by our member @pkane) to try to mimic the profile of that amp and listen to it with your best gear (maybe a SOTA headphones amp and a good pair of low distortion headphones/IEMs).
Performance wise there are way better amps but here the limiting factor is the noise so peraphs it will be buried in the music and you won't notice it.
Thank you so much for the information and your time tomorrow I'm going to get the rotel so I can have a go at it. I will try some things and post the results

rwortman

Forum Donor
I have a 1582 Mk 2 in my main system. It sounds as good or better than any other amp I have had. I would not trade it for any class D module based amp from any manufacturer. Personal bias.

Top Bottom