• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for a newbie

dc100

Hi All,
This is my first post and looking for some ideas/advice on my office set up. I am currently running an S.M.S.L SA300 connected to a pair of Klipsch R-51M speakers. I typically use my iPhone to stream music over Bluetooth (Amazon Music) or use my CD player connected to the RCA in of the SA300. I recently purchased a WiiM mini for streaming and I would like to take advantage of the optical output of the WiiM rather than the aux out. My issue, and the reason for my post, is that with only set of RCA inputs and no optical in on the SA300, I am trying to determine how to accomplish my goal of using the optical out from the WiiM while maintaining the connection to my CD player. I considered a Schiit Modi 3+ to run optical from the WiiM and bypassing the WiiM DAC but then that takes up my single set of RCA inputs on the SA300. I am also considering a new DAC/Amp with Bluetooth like the Loxjie A30 or Aiyma D03. This way I can connect the WiiM via optical, connect my CD player to the RCA in, and still have Bluetooth to the DAC/AMP if I want to use it. Any other suggestions? Thank you!

staticV3

Master Contributor
you could get WiFi, Bluetooth, and CD into the SA300 by replacing the WiiM with a Raspberry Pi. It can output streamed Audio via USB.

OP
D

dc100

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn’t know much about using a Raspberry Pi as a streamer, but found a pretty comprehensive video by iWii Reviews that helped.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn’t know much about using a Raspberry Pi as a streamer, but found a pretty comprehensive video by iWii Reviews that helped.
depends how much you are willing to spend, isn't the WiiM pro streamer like 180? That's another good option with everything available and probably much better sound quality than mini rca out. Not sure if you have watched the review or how much of an objective approach you take.

Optical out of the mini is excellent performance. Guessing the pro will take RCA out up a notch for certain if the company maintains course.

Pi streamer is cheaper, and also if you really got the money so far the best thing is a quality pi hat. However, this will not resolve your problem as the pi hat I use does not have RCA out. Might be better to just get a new dac as stated, that new schitt is looking great and clearly many options around a 100 dollar range. Save 80 or more

OP
D

dc100

depends how much you are willing to spend, isn't the WiiM pro streamer like 180? That's another good option with everything available and probably much better sound quality than mini rca out. Not sure if you have watched the review or how much of an objective approach you take.

Optical out of the mini is excellent performance. Guessing the pro will take RCA out up a notch for certain if the company maintains course.

Pi streamer is cheaper, and also if you really got the money so far the best thing is a quality pi hat. However, this will not resolve your problem as the pi hat I use does not have RCA out. Might be better to just get a new dac as stated, that new schitt is looking great and clearly many options around a 100 dollar range. Save 80 or more
Thank you!

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Wiim Pro has the same DAC (analog out) performance as the Mini.

I would keep the Wiim, research what you want and save some money.

Personally I would either upgrade the amp to something that has coax/optical inputs, the Loxjie A30 should be ok
OR
buy a DAC, sell the amp and change the Klipsch speakers to active monitors. Tbh Klipsch is one of those brands that rarely seem to strive for neutral sound, here's Amir's review/measurements of the little brother R-41M. So there could be room for improvement there.

OP
D

dc100

The Wiim Pro has the same DAC (analog out) performance as the Mini.

I would keep the Wiim, research what you want and save some money.

Personally I would either upgrade the amp to something that has coax/optical inputs, the Loxjie A30 should be ok
OR
buy a DAC, sell the amp and change the Klipsch speakers to active monitors. Tbh Klipsch is one of those brands that rarely seem to strive for neutral sound, here's Amir's review/measurements of the little brother R-41M. So there could be room for improvement there.
Thanks a lot Eetu. I am leaning towards keeping the WiiM mini and changing out my amp for now. Amir's review of the Loxjie A30 was positive so I think I would be satisfied with it. Once I connect the WiiM mini to it via optical, I will see how the R51M's sound then make a decision about them. Also, thank you for the link to the R-41M's. Looks like they didn't perform too well.

Eulipian

you could get WiFi, Bluetooth, and CD into the SA300 by replacing the WiiM with a Raspberry Pi. It can output streamed Audio via USB.

...but, as I see on this and other threads, you won't be able to stream Amazon HD without the WiiM Pro, Chromecast, or some Amazonian device? Asking because I, too, wanted to use my Raspberry Pi as a streamer, but have not found a solution for to stream Amazon Prime Music. I'd welcome any recent intel on this topic.

Top Bottom