• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for a good DAP

Eengineer

I am looking for a DAP in the $300-500 range (USA). I have 15,000 flac files on my hard drives (NAS). I will be converting my classical albums to flac in the future. I want a good DAP to use my headphones with. I also want to use it with our cars when we go on trips. I am looking for good specs and good battery life. The ones I have looked at are the hint r5 Sabre and the ibasso dx160. I am looking for the good specs and easy software for using my music. I would appreciate any advice.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the Hiby R5 is hard to beat-I believe it's on sale for around $275 right now. The Saber version simply uses different op amps and according to many who have heard the OG and the Saber claim there is a sonic difference but not enough to warrant the price increase.

OP
E

Eengineer

The prices I have seen are $349. If used then it is $300.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The prices I have seen are $349. If used then it is $300.
It goes on sale quite often for the price I quoted. If you're interested follow the R5 thread on Head Fi.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I am looking for a DAP in the $300-500 range (USA). I have 15,000 flac files on my hard drives (NAS). I will be converting my classical albums to flac in the future. I want a good DAP to use my headphones with. I also want to use it with our cars when we go on trips. I am looking for good specs and good battery life. The ones I have looked at are the hint r5 Sabre and the ibasso dx160. I am looking for the good specs and easy software for using my music. I would appreciate any advice.
I have the Ibasso DX160 it's sounds phenomenal,just don't look at the screen to much it'll drain the battery

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got a $69 DAP I'm happy with. No Wi-Fi, no streaming. If I want Amazon Music, I use my laptop. The DAP I'm using is the Fiio M3K, that's been upgraded to the M3 pro, about ten dollars more. The M3K has enough power for the AKG K371s, also the Philips Fidelio X2 HR. Not enough for the Drop 6XX. My understanding is that the M3 Pro has more than twice the power of the M3K. Theoretically, both DAPs can hold up to 2TB, mine has a 512GB Micro SD card, good for around 1600 CDs in Apple Lossless.

So, the questions you should be asking: will this DAP have enough power to drive my headphones? Does it easily connect to my car stereo? Do I want to stream music in addition to playing my Flac files? The Fiio M3K hooks up to the aux in of my Prius, easy enough for long commutes, but something of a pain for short hops. But still, a cheap solution. My wife's car has an old I-Pod, but now and then her smartphone hooks up randomly to the stereo of her Rav 4. If she wanted to stream via her smartphone, she could. My understanding is that the LG 'phones make for good DAPs, are designed with good sound in mind. You should do a little research first [as you are doing here]. I've been happy with Fiio DAPs, real good performance for the price.

Last edited:
OP
E

Eengineer

It goes on sale quite often for the price I quoted. If you're interested follow the R5 thread on Head Fi.
Thank you. I am getting the R5s because it will come in June for Father’s Day. “My wife” is getting it for me. As she says, this gets me what I like.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
HiBy R3Pro if you must, it's CS43131 based and nice regarding battery life, not bad display, and good software wise. It's around 200$ (without SD card). Don't go for newer Sabre versions.

Saidera

Top Bottom