• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice: Dirac Live option with cleanest signal path under $1500

prat0088

I’m building a 2.0 setup, upgrading to 2.1 in the future. I’m buying a Cambridge Audio CXA81 amp and CXN v2. The specs and dac look amazing. It feels awful to buy such nice equipment (for my budget and requirements), then put a MiniDSP in front of it. Ive read the analog out measures pretty bad. I’ve also read the NAD AVR with Dirac live measures poor.

My question is: What is the most cost effective way to get Dirac Live in my setup while preserving the quality of my signal path?

Would running the optical from the CD player and streamed through the MiniDSP and out to the amp be my best option? Outside of clock jitter and DSP application, is that lossless?

I’m not overly excited for the minidsp because it has no Bluetooth receiver, has no off switch, and the quality of the signal path seems questionable to me. But I haven’t seen a good case for a DIY PC that is slim and stylish that could be displayed in a living room with good inputs and outputs.

planned setup: amp, cd transport, network streamer with airplay and Bluetooth receiver.

ephemere

I could be wrong, but I think the only 2.x Dirac setups are:
  • MiniDSP DDRC-24 (2ch analog/digital in, 4ch analog out)
  • MiniDSP DDRC-22D (2ch digital in, 2ch digital out)
  • MiniDSP SHD Studio (2ch digital in, 4ch digital out)
  • MiniDSP SHD (2ch analog/digital in, 4ch analog/digital out)
  • NAD C 658 (2ch analog/digital in, 2ch analog + 2ch analog subwoofer out)
  • NAD M10 (2ch analog/digital in, 2ch speaker-level + 2ch analog subwoofer out)
I believe Dirac currently does not offer stand-alone software.

Assuming you are set on Dirac...

If you are absolutely committed to the CXN and the CXA81, then you cannot use the CXN as both the source (streamer/Bluetooth) and the DAC because it does not have a loop in/out to insert a processor (Dirac). The only solution I see is to use the CXN only as a streamer (digital out) connected to one of the MiniDSP or NAD devices above. In that case, I'd pick either the MiniDSP SHD or the NAD C 658 because at least then you could use their internal DACs and you wouldn't need yet a 4th box (a standalone DAC between the Dirac box and the CXA81). But if you go this route then the CXA81 is pretty much redundant because both the MiniDSP SHD and the NAD C 658 also have streaming functionality. Especially with the NAD C 658, I don't think the CXA81 adds anything.

If you are not yet absolutely committed to the CXN and CXA81, I would suggest that you start by picking one of the devices above and then build out what you need. Some options:
  • MiniDSP SHD -> CXA81
  • NAD C 658 -> CXA81
  • NAD M10 (nothing else needed)
I favor one of the NAD solutions over MiniDSP because:
  • BluOS is a very nice streaming system.
  • Bluetooth. (I don't need it, but you do.)
  • Airplay. (I don't need it, but you do.)
  • Compatible with the upcoming Dirac Live Bass Management. (MiniDSP seems not to be.)
  • The C 658 has trigger in/out, useful for connecting to an amp.
As a final note, you mention a CD player. If you go with NAD, which uses BluOS, you could consider getting a Bluesound Vault 2 (or 2i). I got a refurbished Vault 2 for the price of a decent CDP. It's been great and is far more functional than a CDP. As I write this, I'm ripping and encoding my collection of Leslie Howard's Liszt cycle on Hyperion, not available from any streaming service.

FWIW, my systems
  • NAD C 658 -> Cambridge Audio 851W -> Elac Adante AS-61
  • Bluesound Vault 2 -> DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 -> ADAM Audio Classic Column Mk3 (active)
  • (The Vault 2 can also stream my CD collection to the NAD.)
I hope this helps.

wgscott

I believe Dirac currently does not offer stand-alone software.

They do, at least Mac and Windows versions. (Sorry if I misunderstood the context.)

I am still on version 1.x. (There is a version 2.x that is either released now or in late beta. I am waiting for all the bugs to be worked out before upgrading.)

With this, I can run it as an AU (or on Windows, VST) plug-in, with any playback software that accepts such plug-ins. It also has a DAP, but I find it less clunky to just use the plug-in.

Version 1.x was pretty simple to set up and use. There may well be better options, but this one was the simplest and most Mac-friendly at the time.

If you want to play from something other than your computer, it obviously won't be an ideal solution, but if (like me) your computer is your one and only source, then it is pretty much ideal.

Darkweb

Dirac is lame. EQ your bass with Roon or similar and pick the gear of your choosing.

digicidal

Major Contributor
They do, at least Mac and Windows versions. (Sorry if I misunderstood the context.)

I am still on version 1.x. (There is a version 2.x that is either released now or in late beta. I am waiting for all the bugs to be worked out before upgrading.)

With this, I can run it as an AU (or on Windows, VST) plug-in, with any playback software that accepts such plug-ins. It also has a DAP, but I find it less clunky to just use the plug-in.

Version 1.x was pretty simple to set up and use. There may well be better options, but this one was the simplest and most Mac-friendly at the time.

If you want to play from something other than your computer, it obviously won't be an ideal solution, but if (like me) your computer is your one and only source, then it is pretty much ideal.
I've not been able to find the Dirac software available for quite some time (well over a year) despite many saying it was... could you point to a current location where a license for it can be purchased? I'm talking about the Dirac Audio Processor application... not the Dirac Live configuration application.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m building a 2.0 setup, upgrading to 2.1 in the future. I’m buying a Cambridge Audio CXA81 amp and CXN v2. The specs and dac look amazing. It feels awful to buy such nice equipment (for my budget and requirements), then put a MiniDSP in front of it. Ive read the analog out measures pretty bad. I’ve also read the NAD AVR with Dirac live measures poor.

My question is: What is the most cost effective way to get Dirac Live in my setup while preserving the quality of my signal path?

Would running the optical from the CD player and streamed through the MiniDSP and out to the amp be my best option? Outside of clock jitter and DSP application, is that lossless?

I’m not overly excited for the minidsp because it has no Bluetooth receiver, has no off switch, and the quality of the signal path seems questionable to me. But I haven’t seen a good case for a DIY PC that is slim and stylish that could be displayed in a living room with good inputs and outputs.

planned setup: amp, cd transport, network streamer with airplay and Bluetooth receiver.

Quite a few great options already mentioned. Looking at what you want, I think the minidsp shd with an amp (the dac measures great). I have the SHD and the SHD Studio. Works great. What made me go with it is it does Dirac, crossovers for a 2.2 system, very good dac, built in roon endpoint.

Last edited:

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Just do the minidsp at the end of your signal chain, before the amps - the DDRC-24. Run dirac and be happy with 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Dirac is lame. EQ your bass with Roon or similar and pick the gear of your choosing.

I am fully capable of using REW to put filters into roon and its not really that close. Drop some $$$ on a minidsp ddrc-24 and come back tell me your REW filters are still better. Its a ghetto, painful, slow process that is poorly documented and challenging to modify and test. Also Roon wont help you with .1 sub integration without an exotic multichannel DAC or a computer source only digital rig.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I’m buying a Cambridge Audio CXA81 amp and CXN v2.
I've long been considering the Cambridge CXN as an upgrade to my old StreamMagic 6 which I have been very happy with. However I ended up going with the NAD C658 – not least due to the built in Dirac – and I don't regret it. The Cambridge may have a slightly prettier box but it would be pointless trying to integrate Dirac with it IMO. If I were still using a digital crossover for my LXminis I would probably have gone with a Minidsp solution.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

XeCutor

I've not been able to find the Dirac software available for quite some time (well over a year) despite many saying it was... could you point to a current location where a license for it can be purchased? I'm talking about the Dirac Audio Processor application... not the Dirac Live configuration application.

I haven't bought it as I'm I the process of building a dedicated cinema room for which I will buy a new receiver, and for my current setup not everything goes through a computer making the purchase price of the license fairly steep for something I can't fully use. Disclaimer aside, I think this is what you're looking for (hidden under Pro Audo in the menus):
https://live.dirac.com/pro-audio/

wgscott

That's really odd. I got both together. Admittedly I haven't looked in a long time. Maybe something changed. I will take a look when I get a chance.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor

wgscott

I just downloaded the processor application v. 1.1.0 for the Mac here: https://live.dirac.com/download/ (Also has Windows.) I assume it prompts you for registration during install or startup. They used to offer a free trial; maybe still do. Sorry if I have missed something. I am just waking up after very little sleep.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
I just downloaded the processor application v. 1.1.0 for the Mac here: https://live.dirac.com/download/ (Also has Windows.) I assume it prompts you for registration during install or startup. They used to offer a free trial; maybe still do. Sorry if I have missed something. I am just waking up after very little sleep.
Nice! Wasn't there the last few times I looked at their download page... thanks! Ah, it's just plugins it seems... that's cool though as I think you can use the VST plugins with foobar if I'm not mistaken. I'll embark on that journey immediately. ;)

Top Bottom