• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[ADVICE] Dac&Amp for € 500/600

Anto102

Hi! I'm looking for a Dac&Amp for a budget around € 600.

After reading some reviews i ended up to buy a Topping DX7 Pro for € 599 + shipping.

I will pair it with a Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω.

Is it a good choice or is there something better for that budget?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If you don't need BT you could go for LOXJIE D10 and Schiit Magni 3 Heresy all together around 250$ and you get perfectly good DAC regarding line out (a little weird looking tho) and much better headphone amp. Dig a little bit around hire if you don't like LOXJIE for something which would better suit you but regarding Heresy you won't find anything better for sure.

OP
A

Anto102

Noob question

In Topping's thread a user wrote

XLR out will have more power, which is useful if you're trying to drive high impedance headphones. (e.g., 300 Ω or 600 Ω)

do i need an XLR to 6.3mm Jack adaptor?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@solderdude might be able to help you if he's available. He's the maker of that headphone DIYaudioheaven.wordpress.com website.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, sorry, my bad.

I've changed op
QUOTE>
"This DT880 version is 250Ω but it also exists in a 32Ω and 600Ω version. The 250Ω and 600Ω versions are intended for home usage and have to be driven from an amplifier that can supply enough voltage. Portable sources can not supply enough voltage. For these devices the 32Ω version is better suited. Not suited for on the go and commuting because of its open design. The 600Ω version measures and sounds somewhat different."

The 600 Ohm version is the best version for your amp choice.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can adapt for XLR you will have more power on tap. That would be best for power although you might have enough on the 6.3mm plug and less distortion too.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

You cannot use a balanced amplifier with the DT880 unless you re-wire the DT880.
It has a fixed 3-wire cable and for balanced you need a 4-wire cable.

You also cannot use an 4-pin XLR to TRS adapter, even when you find one they can NOT be used.
There are TRS to XLR (4 pin) adapters so you can use a balanced headphone on TRS output.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think ideally 100 mV is enough to drive those

I assume you mean mW instead of mV ;) , in that case I agree.

The DX7 Pro can output 6V (16.8Vpp) = 60mW into 600 Ohm.
The headphones are rated for 100mW.
Heresy/Atom can reach 8.5V = 120mW = 3dB louder.

600 Ohm headphones are fairly voltage insensitive so noise levels (SINAD, but noise dominated) doesn't have to be very high.

Efficiency of the 600 Ohm is about 100dB/V so 115dB peak SPL (about 95dB average) which is loud enough. One has to keep in mind that the DT880 are kind of bass-shy and applying some bass boost quickly reduces the max. SPL.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I assume you mean mW instead of mV ;) , in that case I agree.

The DX7 Pro can output 6V (16.8Vpp) = 60mW into 600 Ohm.
The headphones are rated for 100mW.
Heresy/Atom can reach 8.5V = 120mW = 3dB louder.

600 Ohm headphones are fairly voltage insensitive so noise levels (SINAD, but noise dominated) doesn't have to be very high.

Efficiency of the 600 Ohm is about 100dB/V so 115dB peak SPL (about 95dB average) which is loud enough. One has to keep in mind that the DT880 are kind of bass-shy and applying some bass boost quickly reduces the max. SPL.
Yes but it's always good when you have additional headroom and can took it as advantage to have more optimal output & less distortion also better operating conditions not pushing it to hard.
Edit: I don't think that anything will change as long as you keep it in line with lower mids and I know those are on the bright side.

OP
A

Anto102

You cannot use a balanced amplifier with the DT880 unless you re-wire the DT880.
It has a fixed 3-wire cable and for balanced you need a 4-wire cable.

You also cannot use an 4-pin XLR to TRS adapter, even when you find one they can NOT be used.
There are TRS to XLR (4 pin) adapters so you can use a balanced headphone on TRS output.

Maybe it's a little overkill for my knowledge of the argument.

As far as i use the regular 6.35 jack the DT880 are good to go or i mandatory need an unbalanced dac?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

As far as i use the regular 6.35 jack the DT880 are good to go or i mandatory need an unbalanced dac?
If you don't intend to do complete rewiring of those you need to use unbalanced connection to it including DAC & Amp out.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

You can use the TRS jack out of the DX7 Pro or buy a separate DAC and headphone amplifier.
The DAC output and amplifier input can be balanced (less chance of groundloops bothering you ?) or simple RCA.

The amplifier section must have TRS output (unless you rewire the DT880) and would recommend an amplifier that can at least deliver 200mW into 300 Ohm (= 100mW into 600 Ohm)
No need to go for more than 500mW (0.5W) into 300 Ohm though.

Top Bottom