• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice: DAC + AHB2 vs KEF LS50 Wireless

-Dave

Forum Donor
Hello,
Recent lurker, first time poster. Wasn't quite sure which forum would be most applicable to my question, but here goes:

I am looking to upgrade from a budget surround system to a higher quality stereo system. I don't need/want awesome surround sound for blockbuster movies. I want to listen to a wide variety of music streamed from a PC (FLACC, mp3, Spotify) while on the move around my home (not very frequent long listening sessions in the "sweet spot"). Stereo will be in the living room of an open-concept area (vaulted ceilings, open between living room, dining room, and kitchen).

For sub, I will (eventually) do something DIY - maybe infinite baffle with some Fi drivers in the attic.

For source audio, I have a mini-PC. I've been leaning towards a Benchmark DAC, AHB2, and am deciding on speakers.

For speakers, I've been long tempted to get Magnepans but am concerned about the work of setup, especially if I'm on the move. Lately I am leaning towards Revel Performa3's of some variety, or possible some of the new KEF LS50 metas.

In reading about the new KEFs, I'm intrigued by the wireless version, which cost less than the Benchmark AHB2 alone.

My question for you guys is, if I'm essentially starting from scratch, it seems like I'm better off just investing in the wireless KEFs, right? That way I can skip buying a good DAC, AMP, and cables. I will be achieving a huge upgrade in quality compared to my current system while saving thousands of dollars... Almost seems too easy, which is a big red flag. But maybe this is where the tech is going...

Thoughts? Anything else I left out that would be helpful in answering?

Thanks, I appreciate the conversations here, I've already learned a lot - enough to know that I know NOTHING.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know someone who has the LS50 wireless and didn't have any issues with its dac implementation or anything else, he loved those speakers. With that range of speaker I'd be more concerned about capabilities in large rooms (the room he used them in was small/medium). As to relying on "smart" speakers instead of components, certainly not a bad way to go if it works for you. Good luck!

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to listen to a wide variety of music streamed from a PC (FLACC, mp3, Spotify) while on the move around my home (not very frequent long listening sessions in the "sweet spot"). Stereo will be in the living room of an open-concept area (vaulted ceilings, open between living room, dining room, and kitchen).

Dave, welcome aboard. The KEFs are terrific, but they're designed for a use case very different from what you desire. They're intended for a tight, ear-level equilateral triangle, maybe 6' or 7' on a side, with a definite "sweet spot". If you got up and walked around what sounds like a big space, they'll sound weird and quiet and probably unsatisfactory. They're definitely not big, loud, omnidirectional room-fillers.

Your budget sounds pretty good, so I'm sure there's a solution out there. Unfortunately I don't know what it is.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I'd also get subs to supplement them, my friend did.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
Recent lurker, first time poster. Wasn't quite sure which forum would be most applicable to my question, but here goes:

I am looking to upgrade from a budget surround system to a higher quality stereo system. I don't need/want awesome surround sound for blockbuster movies. I want to listen to a wide variety of music streamed from a PC (FLACC, mp3, Spotify) while on the move around my home (not very frequent long listening sessions in the "sweet spot"). Stereo will be in the living room of an open-concept area (vaulted ceilings, open between living room, dining room, and kitchen).

For sub, I will (eventually) do something DIY - maybe infinite baffle with some Fi drivers in the attic.

For source audio, I have a mini-PC. I've been leaning towards a Benchmark DAC, AHB2, and am deciding on speakers.

For speakers, I've been long tempted to get Magnepans but am concerned about the work of setup, especially if I'm on the move. Lately I am leaning towards Revel Performa3's of some variety, or possible some of the new KEF LS50 metas.

In reading about the new KEFs, I'm intrigued by the wireless version, which cost less than the Benchmark AHB2 alone.

My question for you guys is, if I'm essentially starting from scratch, it seems like I'm better off just investing in the wireless KEFs, right? That way I can skip buying a good DAC, AMP, and cables. I will be achieving a huge upgrade in quality compared to my current system while saving thousands of dollars... Almost seems too easy, which is a big red flag. But maybe this is where the tech is going...

Thoughts? Anything else I left out that would be helpful in answering?

Thanks, I appreciate the conversations here, I've already learned a lot - enough to know that I know NOTHING.
Spend most of your budget on speakers and subs. In my opinion it does make sense to spend more on amps than speakers.

OP
D

-Dave

Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps computer to Schiit Modius DAC to a pair of ADAM T8Vs and a subwoofer? This seems like an incredible value-to-performance ratio by removing the need for an amplifier.

Top Bottom