• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[advice] Apple Airplay on dac/amp

AmalfiMan

Scenario:
With the Topping EX5 dac/amp, I’m using its Bluetooth 5.0 to connect to my Apple TV4K to listen to netflix, hbo, youtube etc.

Using a Sennheiser HD800s and overall it sounds good enough. I understand it doesn’t have Dolby Atmos. FYI: the hd800s is hella comfortable and boosts my gaming with better sound, and so totally worth the $1600.

However, any recommendations on a device to connect EX5 to get AirPlay? Like this?

WiiM Mini AirPlay2 Wireless Audio Streamer, Multiroom Stereo, Preamplifier: https://a.co/d/asDQt1J

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So going to Airplay2 will nominally improve specs over Bluetooth but I doubt most (any) human could hear the difference.

I'll let others comment on the WiiM as I wasn't impressed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Scenario:
With the Topping EX5 dac/amp, I’m using its Bluetooth 5.0 to connect to my Apple TV4K to listen to netflix, hbo, youtube etc.

Using a Sennheiser HD800s and overall it sounds good enough. I understand it doesn’t have Dolby Atmos. FYI: the hd800s is hella comfortable and boosts my gaming with better sound, and so totally worth the $1600.

However, any recommendations on a device to connect EX5 to get AirPlay? Like this?

WiiM Mini AirPlay2 Wireless Audio Streamer, Multiroom Stereo, Preamplifier: https://a.co/d/asDQt1J
Why don't you use the optical out of your TV to the optical on the ex5? The ex5 is stereo anyway so it won't handle multi ch. Just set the TV to downmix to PCM. Job done.

USB for pc, optical for TV related stuff. You could even run the MacBook to the spare spdif coaxial.

Your iPhone airplays to the apple TV then out to ex5 via TV.

Job done?

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why don't you use the optical out of your TV to the optical on the ex5? The ex5 is stereo anyway so it won't handle multi ch anyway.
That is a great option.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That won’t work as tv sound is through the soundbar system. No opt for that.
Use Bluetooth for the soundbar and optical to EX5.

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

Why not use the Apple TV as your AirPlay source by using a HDMI extractor to get a TOSLINK or SPDIF output to the EX5?

Michael
Yep thanks. I looked into that. Its only 4K/60. I have now 4K/120 and the Dolby is sweet.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep thanks. I looked into that. Its only 4K/60. I have now 4K/120 and the Dolby is sweet.
Fair enough but your soundbar is not Dobly Atmos no matter what they might have stamped on it. At best your soundbar is fake surround sound. So no matter what, you'd be better to send digital signal to your EX5 and use Bluetooth to the soundbar.

This is Dolby Atmos (image below). The four thingy's on top are ceiling speakers. The 7 in the middle are ear level speakers. The bottom thing is a sub. Then you need a multi channel processor that has Atmos that sends signal or powers 12 speakers.

Your Airpod Max will do all that via the Apple 4kTV.

immersive_dolby_atmos_layout.png

Top Bottom