• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adventures in Rice

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought a topic other than impending doom might be nice. And, rice is nice.

I've found a source for xlnt sushi rice (exported from Japan; tho not double-blind tested). And I have sources for heritage long grain rices.

So, I wanted to ask about black rice, purple rice, etc. And also GABA rice...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Few things illustrate the difference between Asia and other parts of the world as rice. Many Asian people have similarities with golden eared audiophiles on the subject of rice. I am married to one, I like rice and eat a lot of it but a lot of the differences and special qualities which are so important to my wife pass me completely.

D

Deleted member 21219

Few things illustrate the difference between Asia and other parts of the world as rice. Many Asian people have similarities with golden eared audiophiles on the subject of rice. I am married to one, I like rice and eat a lot of it but a lot of the differences and special qualities which are so important to my wife pass me completely.

And our "sophisticated" approaches to wine are lost on them! :facepalm:

The human race is funny, isn't it? :D

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Katji

Major Contributor
I can only suppose that begins somewhere to the east of India, or I would have heard of it. Long grain, short grain, basmati, that's it.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

by "Asia" do you mean Louisiana?

Katji

Major Contributor
? Oh well, "learn something new every day." - Or remember something.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm finishing up a bag of Niigata koshikari from Echigoya-inc.com, but if you ask me, any differences are subtle, and as much about texture and appearance as flavor. I have had a memorable bowl when visiting the Niigata region though: Recalled it having a kind of subtle sweetness, almost like perfume.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've had rice maybe two three times in the last five years. Just never was part of my diet really and I do enjoy its various forms at restaurants, just don't make it for myself but once in a great while. What doesn't make sense is growing it in California these days....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Chinese rice is the best rice for general all around use. One can put any topping on it from veggies, meat and sauces and it mixes well with everything. I've eaten a lot of Chinese rice as I worked in a nice Chinese restaurant washing dishes to put myself through college for 2.5 years. I buy Basmati, Jasmine and Kokuho Rose(suchi rice) rice from time to time although they don't mix well with some spices and sauces.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
by "Asia" do you mean Louisiana?
I thought that I would pass on a rice recipe (along with a touch of American Rice History). My born & raised in mainland China [met her on the Island of Saipan, near Guam] wife says that it is exquisite (if you want to make this right, it will take some effort to hunt down the grown in South Carolina, Carolina Gold Rice):
Rice Ice Cream, Paradise
May 25, 2012
WRITTEN BY DAVID S. SHIELDS
ORIGINALLY APPEARED IN THE RICE PAPER NEWSLETTER, SPRING 2012

In debates about who was the greatest chef working in the United States during the 19th-century, when haute cuisine came into being, the name of Charles Ranhoffer often receives mention. This French-educated culinary genius presided as chef de cuisine at Delmonico’s in New York City from the Civil War to the Gilded Age.
Early in Ranhoffer’s career he spent four years, 1856-60, under F. Lefevre in New Orleans learning how to treat Southern ingredients. There he came to know and cherish Carolina Rice. In Ranhoffer’s published treasury of recipes, The Epicurean, he invariably specifies Carolina Rice when rice is featured in a dish.
Of the several rice recipes in this book, one speaks to the refined taste that came to typify the offerings at Delmonico’s. It is a masterwork of simple luxury:
Rice Ice Cream, Paradise Recipe
Wash and blanch 12 ounces of Carolina rice; drain. Take four ounces of it and cook it thoroughly in four quarts of milk; strain through a sieve. Put 32 egg yolks in a tinned basin, add two pounds and a quarter of sugar, and beat both together, then put in the rice pulp; set it on the fire and beat steadily until the preparation covers the spatula; leave stand till cold; run it through a sieve, and replace it in the basin after it has been well cleaned; lay it on ice; whip to have the mixture light, and stir in as much whipped cream. Cook the remainder of the rice in a vanilla syrup at 20 degrees; cool off, drain, add it to the composition, and freeze.
The Epicurean, p. 988.
If one craves more complexity of taste, Ranhoffer offers a variation with citron and truffles.
In Carolina Gold Rice Tags Recipes

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So... what brand(s) of black or purple rice should I buy?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought that I would pass on a rice recipe (along with a touch of American Rice History). My born & raised in mainland China [met her on the Island of Saipan, near Guam] wife says that it is exquisite (if you want to make this right, it will take some effort to hunt down the grown in South Carolina, Carolina Gold Rice):
Rice Ice Cream, Paradise
May 25, 2012
WRITTEN BY DAVID S. SHIELDS
ORIGINALLY APPEARED IN THE RICE PAPER NEWSLETTER, SPRING 2012

In debates about who was the greatest chef working in the United States during the 19th-century, when haute cuisine came into being, the name of Charles Ranhoffer often receives mention. This French-educated culinary genius presided as chef de cuisine at Delmonico’s in New York City from the Civil War to the Gilded Age.
Early in Ranhoffer’s career he spent four years, 1856-60, under F. Lefevre in New Orleans learning how to treat Southern ingredients. There he came to know and cherish Carolina Rice. In Ranhoffer’s published treasury of recipes, The Epicurean, he invariably specifies Carolina Rice when rice is featured in a dish.
Of the several rice recipes in this book, one speaks to the refined taste that came to typify the offerings at Delmonico’s. It is a masterwork of simple luxury:
Rice Ice Cream, Paradise Recipe
Wash and blanch 12 ounces of Carolina rice; drain. Take four ounces of it and cook it thoroughly in four quarts of milk; strain through a sieve. Put 32 egg yolks in a tinned basin, add two pounds and a quarter of sugar, and beat both together, then put in the rice pulp; set it on the fire and beat steadily until the preparation covers the spatula; leave stand till cold; run it through a sieve, and replace it in the basin after it has been well cleaned; lay it on ice; whip to have the mixture light, and stir in as much whipped cream. Cook the remainder of the rice in a vanilla syrup at 20 degrees; cool off, drain, add it to the composition, and freeze.
The Epicurean, p. 988.
If one craves more complexity of taste, Ranhoffer offers a variation with citron and truffles.
In Carolina Gold Rice Tags Recipes
Rice pudding ice cream is excellent, I have a good recipe if anyone wants it.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I eat a lot of jasmine rice cooked with a bay leaf. Goes well with my summer grilled dinners.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A good tip for an easy alternative to lontong is to use boil in the bag rice, soak it is for a good bit before cooking and the rice swells so after boiling in the bag it gives a pretty good imitation of proper lontong.

Top Bottom