• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advanced DDC (USB Bridge) and DAC list which support AES/EBU output.

Which one would you choose and why?

• 1. "USB Digital interface Xmos Xu308" DU-U8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. "Nvarcher USB To SPDIF AES OPT"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. "USB Digital Interface SPDIF Coaxial AES"

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 4. Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 Digital Converter.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5. Topping U90 USB Bridge.

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

dosifey

Theoretically, one could use an SPDIF coax output with a converter cable (Coax to XLR) to plug into AES. But there are some limitations and it not always works. I will try to gather here all of the devices that I could find that could act as a good USB bridge with as many different digital outputs opitions as possible, concentrating on AES support.

From the cheapest to the most expensive.

1. "USB Digital interface Xmos Xu308" DU-U8 - generic alibaba(express) device sold under different names, the cheapest I could find. Rough price $100.
Example here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/hif...506.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64b52e0efiu11c

2. "Nvarcher USB To SPDIF AES OPT" another noname device. Looks like it is a bit higher specced?.. Rough RRP around $130.
Example here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/4000107317394.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64b52e0efiu11c

3. "USB Digital Interface SPDIF Coaxial AES" another noname device, sometimes known as XING AF200. Has a screen, price is around $150-200. It looks a bit different from the two above, even higher specced.
Example here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003029098732.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64b52e0efiu11c

4. Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 Digital Converter. The first "branded" device in the list. Power supply unit not supplied and not required, it is definitely an asynchronous data transfer device. Not 100% sure of the ones above. Price around $430.

5. Topping U90 USB Bridge. Very advanced device with multiple digital outputs working simultaneously. Rough price guide around $600.

There was some device from SMSL but I could not find it quickly.

If there is any other good device that you know I could add it to the list. Selecting between Matrix and DU-U8 (first on the list) I selected DU-U8, because I am not sure what I am getting for triple the price of Matrix.

Big side question is: are all of these devices capable of accepting audio stream via USB from android devices? My Nvidia Shield as a source worked via USB with all devices I tried it with. But will it work with any/all of these?..

Last edited:
OP
dosifey

dosifey

Could someone explain to me what's wrong with the sound? It is not clear, I can hear the beating and noise on the quiet parts, but what is it exactly? It is the Chinese device I referenced above https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Ef39NYqAGjANpPB8?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.6ade3e5fHmRTGO

I took the cover off, don't see any obvious problems...
IMG20220610222019.jpg
IMG20220610222039.jpg

Last edited:

rll

Theoretically, one could use an SPDIF coax output with a converter cable (Coax to XLR) to plug into AES. But there are some limitations and it not always works. I will try to gather here all of the devices that I could find that could act as a good USB bridge with as many different digital outputs opitions as possible, concentrating on AES support.

From the cheapest to the most expensive.

1. "USB Digital interface Xmos Xu308" DU-U8 - generic alibaba(express) device sold under different names, the cheapest I could find. Rough price $100.
Example here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/hif...506.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64b52e0efiu11c

2. "Nvarcher USB To SPDIF AES OPT" another noname device. Looks like it is a bit higher specced?.. Rough RRP around $130.
Example here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/4000107317394.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64b52e0efiu11c

3. "USB Digital Interface SPDIF Coaxial AES" another noname device, sometimes known as XING AF200. Has a screen, price is around $150-200. It looks a bit different from the two above, even higher specced.
Example here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003029098732.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64b52e0efiu11c

4. Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 Digital Converter. The first "branded" device in the list. Power supply unit not supplied and not required, it is definitely an asynchronous data transfer device. Not 100% sure of the ones above. Price around $430.

5. Topping U90 USB Bridge. Very advanced device with multiple digital outputs working simultaneously. Rough price guide around $600.

There was some device from SMSL but I could not find it quickly.

If there is any other good device that you know I could add it to the list. Selecting between Matrix and DU-U8 (first on the list) I selected DU-U8, because I am not sure what I am getting for triple the price of Matrix.

Big side question is: are all of these devices capable of accepting audio stream via USB from android devices? My Nvidia Shield as a source worked via USB with all devices I tried it with. But will it work with any/all of these?..
Option 3 has an unstable connection with my Mac. It freezes the system from time to time and requires a hard reset.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I use a Mac with Apple lossless and a USB bridge named ” sky song ” .

Its about 70 dollars and have also the option to be run on batterys ( 6-12 V ) with a dedicated low noise regulator, LT 1963 . Im very satisfied with the sound and there are infact a small sound quality gain when using battery instead of the power from the Mac computer .
I have compared this combo ( Mac + skysong ) with a very expensive streamer and the sound is very good . Clearly a bit better sounding as a digital streamer than my Yamaha wxc50 using Flac from a NAS .
A300C1F5-DDB6-43B8-A35B-ECC1A4FEF1E5.jpeg

This is made in china and I dont know how longterm quality might be. I have used this device everyday for almost a year and without any issues so far.

Last edited:
OP
dosifey

dosifey

I use a Mac with Apple lossless and a USB bridge named ” sky song ” .

Its about 70 dollars and have also the option to be run on batterys ( 6-12 V ) with a dedicated low noise regulator, LT 1963 . Im very satisfied with the sound and there are infact a small sound quality gain when using battery instead of the power from the Mac computer .
I have compared this combo ( Mac + skysong ) with a very expensive streamer and the sound is very good . Clearly a bit better sounding as a digital streamer than my Yamaha wxc50 using Flac from a NAS .
View attachment 212021
This is made in china and I dont know how longterm quality might be. I have used this device everyday for almost a year and without any issues so far.
This looks very similar to mine, mine being this version on steroids, and with AES out. Mine is clearly faulty though. Don't know why and how to fix it. So had to give up and buy Matrix X SPDIF 2.

Top Bottom