• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adobe plans to make Photoshop on the web free to everyone.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not everyone. To anyone who has an Adobe account. And, it’s free to start with only. In other words they are going to release a freemium version..

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Not everyone. To anyone who has an Adobe account. And, it’s free to start with only. In other words they are going to release a freemium version..
Yeah, I'll believe that they are giving away the crown jewels for free when I see it, as in never.

Besides, we'll always have Gimp.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I'll believe that they are giving away the crown jewels for free when I see it, as in never.

Besides, we'll always have Gimp.
I used GIMP for several years for thousands of photos when I had a photography website. It works very well but it has a difficult learning curve to parts of it. I read that Photoshop is more intuitive.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I used GIMP for several years for thousands of photos when I had a photography website. It works very well but it has a difficult learning curve to parts of it. I read that Photoshop is more intuitive.
Well now that you mention that, it seems that Adobe has been on a rampage lately changing things around so that it is less intuitive to use than it was just previously. Just small things, but aggravating things nonetheless. I've been using Photoshop since v2.0 I think in 1992 or thereabouts on a Mac, and they were a lot less arrogant back then. I miss that. :confused:

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well now that you mention that, it seems that Adobe has been on a rampage lately changing things around so that it is less intuitive to use than it was just previously. Just small things, but aggravating things nonetheless. I've been using Photoshop since v2.0 I think in 1992 or thereabouts on a Mac, and they were a lot less arrogant back then. I miss that. :confused:
I'll still be installing GIMP. It's local, faster and it opens most any file extension that I have ever come across.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I'll still be installing GIMP. It's local, faster and it opens most any file extension that I have ever come across.
I have GIMP on my machine but my muscle memory is so trained for Photoshop that its agony to try to use anything different. Every time Adobe changes something I've been doing for years I swear I'm going to give up on it and move to GIMP full time, but then, like an old girlfriend, I get talked out of it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I started playing around with GIMP again recently running under Linux Mint. I'd used it back when I went through an Ubuntu phase ca.15 years ago.
It is complicated but not hopeless, even for a tyro like me.
Fortunately, I don't have to rush any more.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I assure you they weren't, at least not internally. They were just smaller, so had to put on a friendlier front.
Perhaps everything seemed friendlier back then. :confused:

Top Bottom