• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADL (by Furutech) iHP35Hx 1,3m - HD800 cable replacement "review"

Matthew87

Since I have HD800 I broke already 3 cables. The original one, one from Forza AudioWorks, and one from CustonCans UK. Probably because some mix of cables' wires are very thin (like really, very, very thin), the cables being way too long for what I needed, and me not putting my headphones exactly the same as I picked them up. This leads to twisting the cables and as result, breaking the copper wire. Have I mentioned how thin it is?

Wanting to have something shorter, so it would be harder for me to break, I ordered Furutech ADL iHP35Hx 1,3m replacement cable, with Furutech CF-H800 connectors:

IMG_20230129_205939 (1).jpg

So, how does it sound?​

Just like stock cable.
It's a cable, it doesn't have a sound.

Fair enough. What about measurements?​

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to test the cable in that way.

Then maybe something about build quality?​

Now we are reaching the reason why I am writing this "review".

This isn't my first iHP35Hx cable. It is actually second. I returned the first cable.

The pins inside the connector need to align perfectly with the notch on the barrel of the connector. In my case, they didn't. In the left connector, it wasn't that bad, but the pins in the right one were so misaligned I couldn't even push the connector into the socket. So I returned it and I got a brand new cable. It also isn't without flaws:
  • pins in the left connector are misaligned
  • fit is very tight, you need to use quite a bit of force to push connectors into the sockets
  • it is even worse if pins are misaligned
  • because of a very tight fit, it is really hard to pull the connector out, you need to wiggle it, which isn't very safe
  • and the cherry on top: the ADL logo on the splitter is facing back. So if you are wearing headphones you can see 4 small screws.

Conclusions​

There are two:

Sennheiser, please start using normal connectors in your high-end headphones. Some mini-XLR or mini jack. Something I can buy from any reputable store, that doesn't require me to solder ultra-thin cables.

For the cable itself, don't buy it. For a similar price, you can have the original cable from Sennheiser. And if you would like to buy a 3m version, you can even get a balanced one from Sennheiser.

And for me, the quest to find a quality cable for HD800 and HD800s (why I have both is a topic for another "review"), continues.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Useful review. Real engineers care a lot about cables. We just don't expect them to perform magic tricks on the signal ;)

Blashyrkh

I bought a "cheap" balanced from amazon Here
That is above expectations sounding pretty good compared to stock SE (don't know if for the cable itself or for the balance connection)

One of the problem was that the connectors fit pretty hard, and one of them was misaligned (fixed in few seconds with a small knife).
Remove it is pretty hard, but I found a way to do it safely and anyway now is less hard after few swaps since it probably got loose

Onestly I was thinking to buy another one just for this issue, and to be able to swap cables easily. But earing that also a Furutech (that should be among the best) has the same issue, I don't know if we can trust aftermarket connectors since they may be all more or less "defective"?
I don't want to spend 300€ for the original, as said this one is really good

Last edited:

BillyKueek

I bought the ADL (by Furutech) iHP-35X XLR used, for my HD800S. It is 3 meters long, terminated with Dual 3-pin XLR Carbon Fiber finished Furutech connectors at amplifier side and CF-H800 connectors for the HD800S. The cable feels solid, the dual 3-pin XLR are heavy and from I know, ADL is owned by Furutech. Prior to this, I was using the 2 original cables from Sennheiser which were great. Removal from the headphone side connectors are not easy, but it’s like the original. Sound wise, I head but improvements - Bass is obvious, gets slow and punchy. Mids are clearer, good timbre, vocals sound excellent, instruments imaging is present and excellent. Treble sounds pleasant and just right, I am sensitive and ii hate if it’s too bright.

i did not have the experience of #Matthew87, I like this cable and was wondering if I should get more ADLs or try different brands for my other headphones.

Top Bottom