• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adjusting Speaker+Sub as a single unit

Bimbleton

Hello,

A bit of a complicated issue.
The question is: on a Denon receiver, what settings will allow me to change the balance of a speaker+sub as a single channel? The goal is to have the sum L+R response roughly equivalent to Center.

Clarification:
I would like the sum response of the Left+subs+Right+subs to be equivalent to the Center+subs.

Currently, if you run speakers ‘SMALL’, then the sum response of Left+subs+Right+subs ends up being much louder than the Center+subs. Makes sense, it’s two speakers vs one.

If I adjust the “channel volume”, then all it does is lower the specific speaker volume but the subwoofer bass for that channel stays the same. For example, after lowering the left channel, the frequency curve for the left becomes extremely bass heavy, because the subs’ volume for that channel stayed at 85db but the speaker now plays at 75db.

I’ve experimented with setting the speaker to ‘LARGE’ but even with heavy drop off curves, it will still allow the center to play frequencies as low as 10hz. The reason is MultEQ-X has a lower EQ frequency limit of 10Hz, and doesn’t correct below that. I don’t want to damage my Revel C208 playing those frequencies.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the long-winded question. Thanks.

tomkatt

Do you have the subwoofer set to LFE? If you're connecting it up to a receiver this way, that's expected, otherwise I think the sub is controlled at its own volume dial.

I could be wrong though, and it could be an odd quirk of your specific receiver. I can't say I've ever encountered something like this.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Clarification:
I would like the sum response of the Left+subs+Right+subs to be equivalent to the Center+subs.
But why? They are all individual channels. If you let the sub play the bass content of your Small speakers, they should be equally loud for all individually.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could run each speaker with its own sub with high level connections and skip bass management altogether, then each channel would be the same. Not really understanding what you're trying to do or how you're determining what's going on now particularly....

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any time you have a multi-channel recording I don't think there's any way to get the bass to sound right without all the channels playing unless the recording was mastered specifically to allow each channel to play separately with correct sounding bass. I doubt the Denon has the feature you are envisioning because I doubt they ever envisioned the use case for it. Are you wanting to just listen to the center channel alone?

OP
Bimbleton

Bimbleton

All of this is correct, I just don’t think this feature exists. I reran Audyssey and after flattening out my sub curve and leaving the channel levels untouched, it sounds pretty good! Problem solved. Thanks all.

Top Bottom