• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding VU meters to DIY Amps

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Whatever you do, don't be tempted to slap an unbuffered moving coil meter across an audio path as this can cause significant distortion.

kn0ppers

You would want something with a high impedance input that takes the audio signal and does whatever is necessary to drive the particular meter properly. Last time I checked there were different boards for this available from various sellers.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a bunch of blue backlit vu meters on ebay if you want to take that route. I searched "McIntosh vu."

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
L

LondonLad

I'm curious about adding a VU meter to an amp and I came across this:

TEK vomit backlight
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/scre...db-with-calibration-module-115-mm-p-8342.html

The 'vomit backlight' is 'white' and it comes with a 'calibration module'
The impedance is 650 ohm +/- 10%

Thoughts?

Fred, hello and thank you! Looks simple enough to hook up, but please anyone chime in if I'm overlooking something in terms of my assessment of how "simple" that hook up actually is.

Top Bottom