• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

adding VU-meters in the audio chain?

simbloke

Forum Donor
Went to visit an AM transmitter as a student back in the 80's. The kind that covered a good portion of the country (England). Everything was BIG!

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Look what I found. What should I build inside this thing? :)

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/alum...x-case-with-vu-meter-320x246x83mm-p-9959.html
100-aluminium-diy-box-case-with-vu-meter-320x246x83mm.jpg

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a prime candidate for a SECA headphone amp.

jdolecki

I picked up these at our local surplus store 7.50 each. Got one of them cheap vu meter driver from china. Cad the eclipse opening in cad and cut it on my mill. Now i just watch the meters its mesmerizing. Don't care about accuracy cause I'm half deaf anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_3192.JPG
    IMG_3192.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 371
  • IMG_3193.JPG
    IMG_3193.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 373
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    987.3 KB · Views: 374

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I picked up these at our local surplus store 7.50 each. Got one of them cheap vu meter driver from china. Cad the eclipse opening in cad and cut it on my mill. Now i just watch the meters its mesmerizing. Don't care about accuracy cause I'm half deaf anyways.

How are they wired to the rest of your system?

dkinric

I posted this much earlier in the thread, but I really like using this vu spl meter app on the same iPad I run Roon on - easy to switch back and forth, and it's right there next to me at the listening position to keep an eye on listening volume. I'm usually upper 80 dbs when listening loud for me.
I recently compared it side by side with a more professional spl meter and they were basically in synch. Love the adjustable 0db target.
Best of all - FREE to scratch that vu meter itch. Highly recommended!

Attachments

• spl app.jpg
    spl app.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 304

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had vu meters installed on my custom headphone amp.
That's a great looking box in a steampunk kind of style!
An awful lot of components to create a simple couple of watts for a set of cans. o_O

OP
M

Mimizone

I posted this much earlier in the thread, but I really like using this vu spl meter app on the same iPad I run Roon on - easy to switch back and forth, and it's right there next to me at the listening position to keep an eye on listening volume. I'm usually upper 80 dbs when listening loud for me.
How do you get the sound into the iPad? What's the stereo input?

dkinric

How do you get the sound into the iPad? What's the stereo input?
It uses the built in mic of the iPad. So, it's an SPL meter to measure volume at a spot, not amp output, and it works really well in this regard. I set a more professional $50 SPL meter right next to it to compare, and they were within a couple dbs of each other, so accuracy is good enough for anything outside a recording studio.

I actually preferred the app over the more expensive device due to the larger display, simpler look, and even the action of the needle. I had some question about how loud I was listening at times due to neighbors, hearing health, etc. and it's great to have that knowledge instantly.
Plus it's cool to watch while listening!

Here is the one I use and recommend. I guess it's 99 cents instead of free.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spl-meter/id309206756

Reactions: wje

gauc93

There's ready made boxed VU meter with parallel RCA input/output for about 25-40USD.
Screenshot_2020-12-05-17-19-23-832_com.taobao.taobao.jpg
You can also buy them individually, they take 5v-12v for power.
I got a kit that comes with 2 VU meters and a board for Left-Right metering, controlling the brightness, and the amplitude of each VU meter individually. It cost me about 15USD, can be powered via USB.
Easy to adjust, play a tone sine wave and adjust the amplitude with a screwdriver until it matches 0 on each side. The board comes with 3 dials (screw type) to adjust the amplitude of each VU meter and one for the brightness of both meters.
Attached below the picture of the kit, and the picture of the working VU meter.
IMG_20201205_234925.jpg
MVIMG_20201205_171456.jpg
You can build a pretty neat one for about 30USD with a rotary tool or drill in a plastic enclosing. Aluminum would be awesome but you'll need access to proper machinery to drill the holes. It's pretty straightforward, I had never done this before and I don't know anything about wiring stuff like this, took me about 30min drilling the hole in an enclosure and wiring it.

Last edited:

ajawamnet

I just bought a coupla these. I'm running them off a sub mix so they aren't in the chain. Read some comment on Youboob where some guy mentions hearing some noise using it in line. Dunno. The one I'm using at my cad station (which i use to do a lot of mixing at, 'cause I'm a lazy fuq) I'll modify if I have to to isolate any of the meter crap that might influence the audio pass thru.

ajawamnet

Well, the two Little Bear Douk units I bought don't quite follow the panning - Here's a G rated Video review of how screwed up these things are.

Yea there's another review I did with F bombs galore.

If you pan while they are running - and as I show you can see (and hear) that the output is definitely going to either the Left or Right but Douk seems to think no. But if you interrupt the signal (ie. shut off the output) when you bring it back NOW the Douk shows the stereo panorama correctly.

Now as I mentioned, I bought two of these things. So I get to replace the guts in both and do it right.

Interesting -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/upgraded-edition-OF-TA7318P-VU-Meter-Driver-PCB-Board-Stereo-module/254680003618?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

It replaces the old Toshiba TA7318P driver with what looks to be an opamp just like we used to do in multitrack recorders and typical console meter bridges tho those were a bit more tweak.

The Led Zep remix I mention - see the VU meter vid with my remix
http://www.ajawamnet.com/ajawamnet/remixoflz.html

These suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: wje

gauc93

Well, the two Little Bear Douk units I bought don't quite follow the panning - Here's a G rated Video review of how screwed up these things are.

Yea there's another review I did with F bombs galore.

If you pan while they are running - and as I show you can see (and hear) that the output is definitely going to either the Left or Right but Douk seems to think no. But if you interrupt the signal (ie. shut off the output) when you bring it back NOW the Douk shows the stereo panorama correctly.

Now as I mentioned, I bought two of these things. So I get to replace the guts in both and do it right.

These suck.

If it helps, I got these off TaoBao and they actually seem to be the same meters in those little bear douk.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.61632e8dchb3cZ&id=38286868276&_u=d2099jdhn4513c

Not sure what software you're using to test but this VU meter set (2 VU meters plus board and cables) is 15 USD and the amplitude can be adjusted manually for each channel.
They work a treat, nearly foolproof to get them running. I run it off an USB cable into any USB port/charger.

The right channel is a bit off but it's because I didn't adjust it properly and I am too lazy to open back the case, I just wanted to have a dancing VU meter... If you wanna get fancy you can wire a knob to adjust them externally.
They're pretty responsive and both channels work accurately. I just played two quick tracks with clear audio separation, Los from Rammstein at 15 seconds is pretty clear how responsive they're and that both channels are displayed accurately.

You can buy a nice small case similar to the Little Bear Douk for it for 5-8 USD in aluminum, plastic or combined. The one in the video I got it for 12 USD. But it is BIG, made in aluminum with a rubber handle on top and hard plastic front cover. A small one is less than 6 USD. Don't ask me what's this frankenbox, makes me feel ashamed. I just made it to make my setup easy to transport, even drilled the holes by hand with a rotary tool.

The sockets I got them from JiaSound in TaoBao, they work a treat. Nice to install and have even nice panels. They're about 1 USD per piece.
O1CN01G3w3wt1RQ8KHDOcEp_!!134752105.jpg

They even sell plates to mount these sockets, for like 1 USD per piece. All sorts of designs: 2,3,4,6,8,16+ holes, mixed up sizes, weather proof seals, covers, etc. I used this one since I used parallel output RCA so needed 4 holes. Also 1 USD.
O1CN011fNTCt1RQ8C9PS2Iy_!!134752105.jpg_180x180.jpg

Throw in a soldering kit (even with screwdriver, multimeter, and a bunch of stuff) and it's gonna be like 30 USD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom