• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

adding VU-meters in the audio chain?

simbloke

Forum Donor
Went to visit an AM transmitter as a student back in the 80's. The kind that covered a good portion of the country (England). Everything was BIG!

watchnerd

Major Contributor
I picked up these at our local surplus store 7.50 each. Got one of them cheap vu meter driver from china. Cad the eclipse opening in cad and cut it on my mill. Now i just watch the meters its mesmerizing. Don't care about accuracy cause I'm half deaf anyways.
How are they wired to the rest of your system?

dkinric

I posted this much earlier in the thread, but I really like using this vu spl meter app on the same iPad I run Roon on - easy to switch back and forth, and it's right there next to me at the listening position to keep an eye on listening volume. I'm usually upper 80 dbs when listening loud for me.
I recently compared it side by side with a more professional spl meter and they were basically in synch. Love the adjustable 0db target.
Best of all - FREE to scratch that vu meter itch. Highly recommended!

Attachments

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had vu meters installed on my custom headphone amp.
That's a great looking box in a steampunk kind of style!
An awful lot of components to create a simple couple of watts for a set of cans. o_O

OP
M
Thread Starter #74
I posted this much earlier in the thread, but I really like using this vu spl meter app on the same iPad I run Roon on - easy to switch back and forth, and it's right there next to me at the listening position to keep an eye on listening volume. I'm usually upper 80 dbs when listening loud for me.
How do you get the sound into the iPad? What's the stereo input?

dkinric

How do you get the sound into the iPad? What's the stereo input?
It uses the built in mic of the iPad. So, it's an SPL meter to measure volume at a spot, not amp output, and it works really well in this regard. I set a more professional $50 SPL meter right next to it to compare, and they were within a couple dbs of each other, so accuracy is good enough for anything outside a recording studio.

I actually preferred the app over the more expensive device due to the larger display, simpler look, and even the action of the needle. I had some question about how loud I was listening at times due to neighbors, hearing health, etc. and it's great to have that knowledge instantly.
Plus it's cool to watch while listening!

Here is the one I use and recommend. I guess it's 99 cents instead of free.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spl-meter/id309206756