• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a sub to Adi-2 dac

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I’m going to use an RME Adi-2 dac fs as a preamp for my 1032’s. Am I ok to use the xlr outs for the speakers and the rca outs for my sub? I noticed on the Rme forum that Ramses mentioned just running dac—>sub—>speakers to “avoid phase issues”.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Hi, I’m going to use an RME Adi-2 dac fs as a preamp for my 1032’s. Am I ok to use the xlr outs for the speakers and the rca outs for my sub? I noticed on the Rme forum that Ramses mentioned just running dac—>sub—>speakers to “avoid phase issues”.
This was an episode of my journey, here’s where I took it from there - post with diagram and pictures.

Essentially you need crossover and delay for perfect sub integration. Some studio subs do that good enough, MiniDSP for perfectionism and customization.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ramses is right. But the sub needs to have a crossover with high passed outputs for the speakers.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Ramses is right. But the sub needs to have a crossover with high passed outputs for the speakers.
I did it that way with Rokit 10s sub which does crossover and it worked fine. It was adding significant audible noise though, this was one reason to go MiniDSP. Not sure if it’s an issue with other subs.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did it that way with Rokit 10s sub which does crossover and it worked fine. It was adding significant audible noise though, this was one reason to go MiniDSP. Not sure if it’s an issue with other subs.
It's no issue with my Genelec 7060b, feeding a pair of K&H O300Ds.

Willem

Major Contributor
I have no problems: xlr to power amp and rca to Antimode 8033 to sub. The XLR out cable has a passive high pass filter. The sub itself has a low pass filter.

Top Bottom