• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a sub to Adi-2 dac with Active Speakers

ohnonate

Help wanted to connect a subwoofer to active speakers.

Active speakers are connected via balanced in the RME ADI 2 DAC FS

Question 1: Can i use the unbalanced out of the RME to connect to the subwoofer low level in ?

Question 2: If yes to question 1. Do i need to make any EQ changes from the RME ?

Question 3: Active Speakers have the option of 80hz / 60hz HP FILTER - Unsure what one to select ? or do i even need to select any at all ?

Question 4: What should the crossover be set to on sub woofer ?

Thank You
Screenshot 2022-10-31 194820.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question 1: Can i use the unbalanced out of the RME to connect to the subwoofer low level in ?
Yes.
Question 2: If yes to question 1. Do i need to make any EQ changes from the RME ?
Absolutely. EQ is applied for both RCA and XLR. So everything you EQed in low-end department will also be applied to the sub. That's the issue.
Question 3: Active Speakers have the option of 80hz / 60hz HP FILTER - Unsure what one to select ? or do i even need to select any at all ?
You would definitely need to use this to overturn the issue above. (Then, EQ in sub 80Hz region won't be an issue from the ADI-2 and you will deal only with sub's one, as it should be).
Question 4: What should the crossover be set to on sub woofer ?
No Idea. I don't remember you told either about the speakers or the sub you're thinking about!... :p

OP
O

ohnonate

Hi @VintageFlanker
Thank for the feedback. in regards to question 2 - So because everything that is EQed in low-end department will also be applied to the sub does that mean it cant be done ?

OP
O

ohnonate

Another question, In regards to my Question 2: "Do i need to make any EQ changes from the RME ? "

Since EQ is applied for both RCA and XLR. So everything that is EQed in low-end department will also be applied to the sub. since this is a issue, would the following rel sub over come this problem since it has lfe levelcontrol? Thanks

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 98

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another question, In regards to my Question 2: "Do i need to make any EQ changes from the RME ? "

Since EQ is applied for both RCA and XLR. So everything that is EQed in low-end department will also be applied to the sub. since this is a issue, would the following rel sub over come this problem since it has lfe levelcontrol? Thanks

I think ideally you want to low pass the sub (only send it a signal below below cross-over frequency e.g. 80Hz) and high pass the mains (only send them the signal over the cross-over frequency). I don't think the RME can do this (i.e. set separate high and low pass filters of for the XLR and RCA outputs), but i'd be happy to be proved wrong.

My Sub8 can work as a cross-over between the monitors and sub because it sits in the signal path between the DAC and the monitors (which in my case are also set to high pass above 80Hz).

You could achieve the same result using a Digital Signal Processor device like the miniDSP...

OP
O

ohnonate

Would the following scenario work better.
Since the RME is unable to adjust both Low and High pass filter from the different outputs?

So would the following work??

Active Speakers High Pass Setting = 80Hz
Subwoofer Low Pass = 80Hz

or the volume control and sub might be an issue?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 55555555555.jpg
    55555555555.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
That should work. Some fiddling with crossover frequency, phase and sub level is going to be required to get the transition right. You best have a measurement mic handy as doing it by ear with test tones is not trivial, and they say that amateurs will dial in 20 dB too much sub by ear and pros 10 dB too much.

OP
O

ohnonate

That should work. Some fiddling with crossover frequency, phase and sub level is going to be required to get the transition right. You best have a measurement mic handy as doing it by ear with test tones is not trivial, and they say that amateurs will dial in 20 dB too much sub by ear and pros 10 dB too much.
Thank for your help !

Top Bottom