• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a Sub to a Gustard X16 DAC and Purify Amp.

wmilas

So I have a Gustard X16 Dac and a VTV Purify amp hooked up via XLR. I just bought a Rythmik Sub to add to my system. I'd like to use XLR to the sub but the issue is the Gustard only outputs 2 Channel XLR. So I'd have to split one of the 2 channels out of the Gustard to the Sub and to the amp.

I've read that splitting a XLR cable is going to lead to impedance issues, and lots of other nastiness unless I use an active XLR splitter. Is this true? I've tried to google active XLR splitters and most seem to be for microphones with Phantom power, ground lift and a bunch of other things I'm unfamiliar with.

What's the science here? What is the proper way to do this?

Help :)

-W

ckraimer

I have the Gustard X16 already and you have the exact amp I will purchase someday - but for now it's hard to justify it since I have a very good amp in the Belle SA-100. But I'm very curious to hear an answer to the question you posed, as I recently connected both of my subs via the high side wire due to a similar challenge. I don't think my mains sound as good now, but I don't have a sub output without a preamp, and adding my preamp definitely hurts the sq. Please help! :)

OP
W

wmilas

I split the right channel out of the X16 to the amp and to the Sub. I used REQW to measure the before and after of the right main. There is literally no difference. I did not measure the voltage differences. There may be some. What I was worried about was change in SPL of the end product and I see no change.

For right now I'm leaving it as is. If I find another way to do this I'll post my experience.

Sukram

I have the same X16, H16, VTV Purifi and drive my Magnepan 3.7i. I use the dbx 360 venue for active crossover, xlr for subwoofer and room correction. All problems solved.
The impact of room correction was amazing, much better than Dirac.

Top Bottom