• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a second subwoofer

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Funk 18 inch offering would be a tad too big.
Why not ask Nathan to make you something that fits your size requirements?

Otherwise, in the current market I like PSA's approach of using modern long throw "pro" drivers. Others may do the same but I know PSA. Big voicecoils, and neo magnets to cut down on weight. So efficiency in the upper part of its range but the motor strength and suspension flexibility to give high output after EQ using modern amplification. The approach just makes sense to me. If I were clean-sheeting I’d probably be choosing between small closed boxes with dual opposed “home” 10’s (like the driver @sigbergaudio uses) or small closed boxes with 18” “pro” woofers.

Hsu ULS15 is also a good one, and well-priced, that seems to get less attention.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Why not ask Nathan to make you something that fits your size requirements?

Otherwise, in the current market I like PSA's approach of using modern long throw "pro" drivers. Others may do the same but I know PSA. Big voicecoils, and neo magnets to cut down on weight. So efficiency in the upper part of its range but the motor strength and suspension flexibility to give high output after EQ using modern amplification. The approach just makes sense to me. If I were clean-sheeting I’d probably be choosing between small closed boxes with dual opposed “home” 10’s (like the driver @sigbergaudio uses) or small closed boxes with 18” “pro” woofers.

Hsu ULS15 is also a good one, and well-priced, that seems to get less attention.
I have talked with Nathan on a custom option but the cost would be relatively high compared to getting a "ready to go" 18" from PSA or Rythmik

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Actually, looking at 15" subwoofers, I could fit two behind my seating......one on either side of the seating

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Actually, looking at 15" subwoofers, I could fit two behind my seating......one on either side of the seating
And down the rabbit hole we go... :D

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!"

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I would be interested in hearing a little more detail on this. I am looking at a single vs. dual subs and this thread his helpful.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Another option brought to my attention would be the dual opposing 15" PSA 3012.

I think I narrowed it down to either doing two PSA 15" S1512's or a single S3012

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Alright. Final edit to the sub choices. It is now between dual PSA 1813's, dual Rythmik F18's or a single Funk 18.0e

As stated, the primary spot behind my seating where one sub (or the Funk if that route) will go has a known response of excellent from 20-100Hz.
If going dual subs, the secondary spot is unknown to me for frequency response.

I've also given in and decided whichever route I go I'll ask the sub(s) to contribute as low as possible to get max extension in my room combined with the current 21.0L while also helping to fill in the 60-90Hz null.

Top Bottom