• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding 2 passive subwoofers to my audio setup

taisho

Forum Donor
I want to add 2 Monolith 10" THX subs to my current setup or rather I should say - change/replace my setup in a way that it's possible. Don't worry about retiring the DAC and amp - I will need them for my parents' PC soon anyway. Within a year I'm also buying a TV, so I would like the speakers and subs to work with the TV as well and be EQable, preferably with the same level of equalization detail that can be achieved through Equalizer APO + Peace EQ that I'm currently using. I guess that connecting to the TV requires an AVR. I will never have the PC and TV on simultaneously. My requirements are - no significant compromises for sound quality, and convenience to use, especially no cable switching. Good to have - affordable price, not too many devices and connections. Any advice on what devices I should look for and how to connect them?

1664795174134.png

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to add 2 Monolith 10" THX subs to my current setup or rather I should say - change/replace my setup in a way that it's possible. Don't worry about retiring the DAC and amp - I will need them for my parents' PC soon anyway. Within a year I'm also buying a TV, so I would like the speakers and subs to work with the TV as well and be EQable, preferably with the same level of equalization detail that can be achieved through Equalizer APO + Peace EQ that I'm currently using. I guess that connecting to the TV requires an AVR. I will never have the PC and TV on simultaneously. My requirements are - no significant compromises for sound quality, and convenience to use, especially no cable switching. Good to have - affordable price, not too many devices and connections. Any advice on what devices I should look for and how to connect them?

View attachment 234867
Yes as you said. Look into AVRs. Denon just came out with a new one X3800. See comprehensive the separate thread here in this forum.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A good compromise would be a cheap AV receiver like a Denon S760H, combined with a miniDSP 2x4HD for bass management.

You use EqualizerAPO on the PC for correcting the response of the speakers, output over HDMI or optical to the receiver, have an 80Hz crossover on the receiver, and then do subwoofer setup on the miniDSP. The S760H has pretty rudimentary capabilities when it comes to EQ, and lacks separated EQ + delay settings for doing multi-sub integration. I run a pretty similar setup for my living room.

MCH

Major Contributor
Minidsp flex is very popular here. It gives you 4 channels, 2 for the main speakers, and 2 additional that you can use for the subs.
It also allows you do do the crossovers, eq each and every channel, works as a preamp too, you can coonect your tv (via optical, no avr required) and pc simultaneously... and you have balanced and unbalanced versions.
No hdmi nor multichannel inputs though, but well, your system is stereo so i guess doesn't matter.
You would need: your sources, minidsp flex, one stereo amp for the speakers, your active subs. That's it.

Top Bottom