• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Add volume control between HDMI audio extractor and active speakers

fredstuhl

Hi guys,

I am looking for a convenient way to control volume in a very minimal multi-purpose stereo system:
AppleTV/ PC/ Xbox... -> HDMI switch -> HDMI audio extractor -> powered speakers

- The speakers have digital (AES/EBU) and analog audio inputs. They need to be connected to electronics that are on the other side of a largish room, so I prefer to use AES/EBU for simplicity (then I only need a single connection cable)
- I plan to use an AppleTV as a primary audio output device (both for music and TV), but other devices will be connected, too. Therefore, I want to extract the audio signal from HDMI after converging the signal paths.
- I bought an HDMI audio extractor and a HOSA ODL-312 Optical to AES/EBU Digital Audio Interface and connected the speakers and an AppleTV. It works fine insofar that it plays audio, but I didn't think about volume control before. Apparently, the AppleTV uses HDMI CEC and I am missing a compatible downstream device.

Now, I am looking for the easiest way to introduce remote volume control into the system (ideally using the AppleTV remote, which has IR functionality). From my understanding I'd need some kind of preamp that can be remote controlled and has a digital in- and output? I am having a hard time finding something simple and cost effective (as I'd really only use it for volume control). Do you have suggestions or possible alternative solutions?

OP
fredstuhl

fredstuhl

No display needed and I want it to be as affordable as possible, since I really only need the volume control function. Maximum price for another extra device would be around 300 Dollars... If it's more expensive, all the small parts and adapters would add up to the cost of an actual AVR, which might then become the smarter choice.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are many miniDSP devices that can do what you want, unfortunately the cheapest one is no longer available.

nanoDIGI - $170 in 2021 before they stopped making them, can find these used occasionally
OpenDRC-DI - $325
Flex Digital - $500

Could also DIY with raspberry pi + camilladsp + FLIRC IR receiver + MCHStreamer or USBstreamer as described in the link in my tutorial.

Michael

OP
fredstuhl

fredstuhl

Ha! Thanks Michael, these look like great options!

hege

Forum Donor
Why keeping your speakers a secret? I guess it's not Genelecs, otherwise you'd use GLM remote..

OP
fredstuhl

fredstuhl

Genelecs 8350, but i am not running them hooked up to a pc for music playback.

hege

Forum Donor
Genelecs 8350, but i am not running them hooked up to a pc for music playback.
Well duh, the remote doesn't require a PC running, just power to the GLM box. :)

MCH

Major Contributor
I would ask the wiim threads guys if the wiim pro can stream the toslink input to a wiim mini. You would still need a toslink to aes converter and final price can approach 300 but you would be wireless :)
Edit: with two wiim pros you just need coax to aes cable (?)

OP
fredstuhl

fredstuhl

Well duh, the remote doesn't require a PC running, just power to the GLM box. :)
Wait, for real?! Did not know that! I always wanted one of those cute analog volume things, but always thought I‘d need to put a laptop next to it.

OP
fredstuhl

fredstuhl

I would ask the wiim threads guys if the wiim pro can stream the toslink input to a wiim mini. You would still need a toslink to aes converter and final price can approach 300 but you would be wireless :)
Edit: with two wiim pros you just need coax to aes cable (?)
Thanks, I‘ll check that out, too!

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom