• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Add a subwoofer to Focal Aria 906 bookshelf speakers ?

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I get that but why bother with better choices out there?
Which, please?
Aria 906 can be bought new for as low as 420€ (pair) during sales in France.

sfdoddsy

If you have the space, definitely get a pair of subs and consider crossing them higher than the usual 80hz.

The fact your speakers may show decent response down to 80hz or 70hz doesn’t mean it is wise to make them do so.

A great example is the ever popular LS50. You can cross it at 80hz, but by then it is distorting, compressing, and basically unhappy.

150hz is much better.

Ditto the Arias. 6 inch (or whatever) drivers are midrangers, not bass drivers.

A pair of SVS SB1000 will happily stretch to 250hz, and down to 20hz.

Add a MiniDSP, cross them at 150, Eq the room modes and you have great bass for around $1K.

A ‘full range’ model will give you worse bass, no control, and cost thousands.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why anyone would want those speakers without one is beyond me :)
Mostly neighbor concerns rendering the investment pointless. I can't have deep bass at appropriate volumes w/o people being pissed.
Sucks but that's the reality of life.

Speaker correction is not the same as room correction.
Maybe, maybe not.
Ultimately, it does not matter to me at all. I chose these speakers because I like their signature. I see no point in messing with it, just as I would not mess with the signature of my Focal Clear.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mostly neighbor concerns rendering the investment pointless. I can't have deep bass at appropriate volumes w/o people being pissed.
Same situation for me in a parisian flat.
Still, I have 2.1 PC speakers and it is great to have the sub render lows effotlessly. I want to try with the Arias.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe, maybe not.
Ultimately, it does not matter to me at all. I chose these speakers because I like their signature. I see no point in messing with it, just as I would not mess with the signature of my Focal Clear.

Well, living in an apartment definitely creates audio limitations (or "enjoying" someone else's at inappropriate times :) ). I feel for ya! Good luck!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which, please?
Aria 906 can be bought new for as low as 420€ (pair) during sales in France.

They may be a good deal at that pricepoint, but still lack in low end response (if avoiding use of a sub), which is what I was referring to rather than cost.

Top Bottom