• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Add a subwoofer to Focal Aria 906 bookshelf speakers ?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I'd start from REL.net and check their configurator.
One can hardly be wrong with REL subwoofer, IMHO.
You may look at similar alternative later, for sure.
But you have a starting point.

maty

Major Contributor
DIY GR-Research subwoofers. Closed and opened.

* http://gr-research.com/diysubwooferkits.aspx

* http://www.rythmikaudio.com/GRci.html

Closed sub: http://gr-research.com/servosubkit2.aspx

Resized, clarified and optimized

GR-Research-Servo-Sub-kit-2.jpg

If you have no problems with aesthetics (usually the WAF), I would opt for open subs. First one with two drivers. And after a second sub.

The Servo Sub kit 4, Open sub.

* http://gr-research.com/servosubkit4.aspx

Problem: $$$

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
index.php

Knowing that it really only goes up to 65 Hz at -3 dB it seems the most logical thing to add a subwoofer. Usually better with closed bass reflex.

Try boosting the low frequencies first with PEQ and moving the boxes closer to the back wall. You always have time to spend money.

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
If you can get the phase/time alignment right using positioning, you might be able to get away with running the Arias full range and setting an LR4 lowpass on the sub at around 50-55Hz. You won't benefit from improved IM distortion or power handling, but the integration should be OK - the Arias seem to have a typical vented alignment (24dB/oct LF rolloff, -3dB at 63Hz, -6dB at around 53Hz).

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Try boosting the low frequencies first with PEQ and moving the boxes closer to the back wall. You always have time to spend money.
I have similarly small room like the OP 16,5m²), although I listen in the Nearfield.
Have been contenplating a sub ever since I got the Arias.
With Dirac I get a room corrected response down to 40Hz.

Considering that I generally listen at pretty low levels (~70dB C), the reduction in headroom due to EQ is not an issue.
I'm still wondering whether a subwoofer would be a useful addition to the system or not.

maty

Major Contributor
The key is the quality of the subwoofer and the kind of music you listen to.

Listen to the two open subwoofers (they need 3 ft to the walls) with a loudspeaker with rear bass-reflex. Very impresive the bass, at least in my second system. In live must be incredible!!!

Aerith Gainsborough

The key is the quality of the subwoofer and the kind of music you listen to.
Yep, that's what makes this decision such a fight for me.
I am listening to orchestral music mostly. What I am missing is not so much bass amplitude but rather bass definition and extension (would like to go down to 30Hz).
Of course, comparing a speaker in an untreated room to a Focal Clear is pretty unreasonable of me to do.
Also, space is at a premium in my apartment. I have exactly one spot to put the sub: right next to my side. If that spot does not work -> game over.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Since the miniDSP won't have enough taps to do a FIR crossover with 96dB/octave slopes, I plan to do this, with 1 or 2 subs:

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers/subwoofer-integration-with-minidsp

Did anyone try that?

I'm a bit worried about how it might ruin the phase though:

View attachment 51381

I'm not a speaker designer, but to adjust a phase to ensure correct summation at and around XO point I would expect it is best to apply samle XO slope to mains HP as you have with sub and his LP.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Yep, that's what makes this decision such a fight for me.
I am listening to orchestral music mostly. What I am missing is not so much bass amplitude but rather bass definition and extension (would like to go down to 30Hz).
Of course, comparing a speaker in an untreated room to a Focal Clear is pretty unreasonable of me to do.
Also, space is at a premium in my apartment. I have exactly one spot to put the sub: right next to my side. If that spot does not work -> game over.

If you do not listen to electronic music or modern action movies I would focus on low frequency equalization. Then to minimize the vibrations of the Focal. Later, in retouching the crossover, especially the part of the tweeter.

Another option is a closed version of the subwoofer but with the same electronics, that is, with servo.

http://gr-research.com/diysubwooferkits.aspx

-> http://gr-research.com/servosubkit2.aspx

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
. I have exactly one spot to put the sub: right next to my side. If that spot does not work -> game over.

There is always the potential of sub localization (esp. if you only have room for one) even if you find a spot that just “works” measurement-wise — such an issue has annoyed the hell out of me for years until I just placed the sub between my speakers. Not the best place ergonomically, nor did I get the best frequency response there, but eliminating the maddening localization asymmetry problem was more important to me.

Aerith Gainsborough

There is always the potential of sub localization (esp. if you only have room for one) even if you find a spot that just “works” measurement-wise — such an issue has annoyed the hell out of me for years until I just placed the sub between my speakers. Not the best place ergonomically, nor did I get the best frequency response there, but eliminating the maddening localization asymmetry problem was more important to me.
Yeah localization and effect on sound stage are things I worry about too.

Given the low levels I listen at (call it Neighborly restrictions), 30Hz and below won't be readily audible anyway. I think, the logical course of action is to continue to extend the range of my Arias via EQ, add the loudness compensation of the ADI-2 when I get it and leave the extreme low end to my Clear.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah localization and effect on sound stage are things I worry about too.

Given the low levels I listen at (call it Neighborly restrictions), 30Hz and below won't be readily audible anyway. I think, the logical course of action is to continue to extend the range of my Arias via EQ, add the loudness compensation of the ADI-2 when I get it and leave the extreme low end to my Clear.
What room correction for your Aria do you use?

Not room-related, but did you try the 800 Hz correction Amir advised in his review? (Q=4, -3dB)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-aria-906-speaker-review.14085/

Aerith Gainsborough

I use the Dirac Live Processor in a DAW (Cantabile).

Setting is 20Hz @ +6dB (real correction starts about 35Hz but I use the point to set the slope) to 0dB @ 200Hz to -2dB @ 10KHz.
Since I apply Dirac over the entire audible range, there is no need to correct anything specific.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why anyone would want those speakers without one is beyond me :)

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom