• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adcom question

derek61

Good evening. I'm running an Adcom GFA II Power amp and an Adcom GFP 555 preamp .is there a safe way to power two sets of speakers ? Current running Klipsch Hersey's .I just want to run something with a little more bass .. Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing this is the amp you are using. The GFA-555 II.
D3S_7607-rear-1600.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can wire the 2 pair of speakers in a series configuration. You have lots of power available and the new Klipsch Heresy are rated for 8 Ohms.
It's that or get a 2nd amplifier for the 2nd pair of speakers.
series.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get sub(s) rather than duplicate channels with another pair of speakers ?

OP
D

derek61

Yes, you can wire the 2 pair of speakers in a series configuration. You have lots of power available and the new Klipsch Heresy are rated for 8 Ohms.
It's that or get a 2nd amplifier for the 2nd pair of speakers.
View attachment 87961
So in series I would put the two positive wires together and the black wires together and hook them to the power amp?

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
Thats not what the diagram is showing the positive from amp speaker 1 positive then leaves speaker 1 negative to speaker 2 positive then speaker 2 negative goes back to the negative on the amp

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So in series I would put the two positive wires together and the black wires together and hook them to the power amp?
No, do not do it that way. Do it like the diagram shows. It's all there. This diagram is for one side at a time.
series.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
and... you'll need a 1.5 volt battery to connect to the speakers to ensure they are in phase with each other. That is if they are different model of speakers. Powering the speaker with the battery should produce the same in/out response in each speaker.

OP
D

derek61

and... you'll need a 1.5 volt battery to connect to the speakers to ensure they are in phase with each other. That is if they are different model of speakers. Powering the speaker with the battery should produce the same in/out response in each speaker.
Thank you

Unclevanya

? I understood the wiring and series resistance, I don't understand this.

Haflermichi

If you place 1.5 dc battery volts across the speaker terminals + to + and - to - the woofer cone will move outwards, emit a pop sound, and stay outwards as long as the battery is connected. You only need touch it on the terminals briefly to see the cone motion.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I agree with @Chrispy -- instead of another pair of speakers, pick up a good sub or two to augment the bass. The Heresy was actually originally designed to be a center speaker for a three-channel "stereo" system IIRC.

Top Bottom