• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADCOM GCD-750 fuse blows when fed with ADCOM ACE-515 switched output

juanvi

Dear friends, I am writing this message to see if someone can help me understand what has happened to me with ADCOM equipment. The situation is as follows: I currently live in Spain but in the past I lived in the United States and I liked the ADCOM team. I bought a GFP-565 preamp and two GFA-555 II amps (I have the bi-amped system). The CD player is a GCD-575. I feed the system with an AC enhancer model ACE-515 through a 220-125V transformer (the voltage in Europe is 220 and the equipment maintains the American voltage). Everything works perfectly despite the time. I can only speak well of ADCOM. But recently I bought a GCD-750 reader on ebay. When I received it, to test it I connected the power to the enhancer but I had to do it to the "switched" output (which is the one used for amplifiers) because the reader came with a power cable with a ground leg. The fuse has blown. I have repeated the operation 4 times with the same result: 4 blown fuses, although on one occasion it kept working for a few hours. I thought that the “switched” output could generate spikes (although it doesn't seem to affect the amplifier I normally have plugged into that output) and I have fed the GCD-750 with a separate transformer: it works fine. So the problem does not exist, but I don't understand why powering the reader with the “switched” socket causes the fuse to blow, while it does not affect the operation of the amplifier. On the other hand, I could feed the GCD-750 from one of the “unswitched” outputs but they don't have a ground and the fact that the power cable does have one makes me think it would be nice to have it. Can anyone help me understand these mysteries?

Top Bottom