• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T8V Studio Monitor Review

Damian

Other users write that the T8V has a hiss, in the standard volume, that is, it is clearly audible.
And the T5V and T7V also have complaints about hissing.
Maybe the hiss depends on the power control on the monitor?

Hissing is there at any volume, but only when I put my ear 5 to 10 cm from the tweeter... so for me i don't mind. If I give full volume from the Motu M4, some other noise comes in kind of a static but I think this is present for many speakers when at full power? Also my T8V has a +4db or so dialed in.

The noise from my computer fan is much more annoying.

Alchemist_

Hissing is there at any volume, but only when I put my ear 5 to 10 cm from the tweeter... so for me i don't mind. If I give full volume from the Motu M4, some other noise comes in kind of a static but I think this is present for many speakers when at full power? Also my T8V has a +4db or so dialed in.

The noise from my computer fan is much more annoying.
seal the ground pin on the outlet.
and / or try to insert the motu into another usb connector.
maybe the leads will go away.

I have a motu M2, the volume is at maximum and there is no noise.

I personally heard the T7V making noise - it was loud. There are also many complaints on the Internet about the sizzle of the TV series.
and

Lorenzo74

I'm between the T7V and T8V, any recommendations and why? I'm thinking of going with the T8V due to the bass extension, I will use to listen to music and as a monitor for electric guitar.
Same doubts including excellent T5V. Finally decided for the T7V.
Pls wait, a review with lots of objective measurements is in the making...

digicidal

Major Contributor
Same doubts including excellent T5V. Finally decided for the T7V.
Pls wait, a review with lots of objective measurements is in the making...

I have no complaints at all about my T7V's.... but then I don't use them nearfield, so can't really comment on the hiss. It's present if I get within 1ft of them, but completely inaudible from the couch (~10ft). Bass extension is more than sufficient in this setting - I don't even turn my subs on unless watching a movie.

Alchemist_

I have no complaints at all about my T7V's.... but then I don't use them nearfield, so can't really comment on the hiss. It's present if I get within 1ft of them, but completely inaudible from the couch (~10ft). Bass extension is more than sufficient in this setting - I don't even turn my subs on unless watching a movie.
That's what I'm talking about. - This is the near field, but sitting next to them, at the computer, will be unbearable. And day and night the hiss will be heard.
PS No matter what anyone says, that the alleged computer or laptop is louder, I will say. - My computer is working quietly, now the modern world there is nothing noisy and it stands on the floor and is not aimed at the ears.
And what difference does it make what kind of bass expansion they have.... if they can only be used at a distance.

Damian

That's what I'm talking about. - This is the near field, but sitting next to them, at the computer, will be unbearable. And day and night the hiss will be heard.
PS No matter what anyone says, that the alleged computer or laptop is louder, I will say. - My computer is working quietly, now the modern world there is nothing noisy and it stands on the floor and is not aimed at the ears.
And what difference does it make what kind of bass expansion they have.... if they can only be used at a distance.

Really, I don't hear anything and they are like 40/50 cm from me and I'm sensitive to high pitch and have good hearing (17 to 18 khz)

Alchemist_

While conflicting opinions( maybe someone will shoot a video with the approach to the tweeter (in complete silence).
I think there will be more opinions about this later.
because, some say it sizzles, others say it doesn't sizzle, and the details of the TV series are the same.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
While conflicting opinions( maybe someone will shoot a video with the approach to the tweeter (in complete silence).
I think there will be more opinions about this later.
because, some say it sizzles, others say it doesn't sizzle, and the details of the TV series are the same.

People say the same about the JBL 3 series... I tried a number of them and all had the hiss - much worse than the Adams IMO. No idea whether this is more directly attributable to manufacturing variance, user hearing differences, source differences, etc. - but I've yet to have a powered monitor that didn't have some level of it. Granted I've also never owned monitors in the $1K+ level - so I accept that as being part of the hidden cost of the savings involved.

If I has Adam's S-series monitors or JBL 7 series and heard the same amount, then I would return them and look elsewhere... for $150-250 level actives, I'm far more accepting of it. Not like you can hear it at all with a signal of any meaningful level... it's just irritating if they're on and not doing anything - however, the solution to that is two power switches away (or one if you plug them into a dedicated strip).

Alchemist_

People say the same about the JBL 3 series... I tried a number of them and all had the hiss - much worse than the Adams IMO. No idea whether this is more directly attributable to manufacturing variance, user hearing differences, source differences, etc. - but I've yet to have a powered monitor that didn't have some level of it. Granted I've also never owned monitors in the $1K+ level - so I accept that as being part of the hidden cost of the savings involved.

If I has Adam's S-series monitors or JBL 7 series and heard the same amount, then I would return them and look elsewhere... for $150-250 level actives, I'm far more accepting of it. Not like you can hear it at all with a signal of any meaningful level... it's just irritating if they're on and not doing anything - however, the solution to that is two power switches away (or one if you plug them into a dedicated strip).
It doesn't matter what the price is. Let the manufacturers themselves listen to the hiss of their monitors. I will never buy a monitor that sounds good, but that hisses or hums. After all, there's the Yamaha HS5 / 7 / 8 and the Neumann they fizz less than the others. Manufacturers are morons) they do not understand that their monitors can be bought for installation at home and / or near the computer and with a hiss they are .. no one needs them.

digicidal

Major Contributor
It doesn't matter what the price is. Let the manufacturers themselves listen to the hiss of their monitors. I will never buy a monitor that sounds good, but that hisses or hums. After all, there's the Yamaha HS5 / 7 / 8 and the Neumann they fizz less than the others. Manufacturers are morons) they do not understand that their monitors can be bought for installation at home and / or near the computer and with a hiss they are .. no one needs them.

Actually the Yamaha's were some of the worst I auditioned initially (in the sense that the noise was audible from a greater distance on my desk). Can't speak for the larger ones however - but the HS5 definitely had more than the 305's I auditioned at the same time (and seemed to me to have less bass extension as well). As far as the first statement, I think that's a bit naive... the BOM certainly matters as far as distortion and hiss, which directly determines the MSRP. Clearly the noise is a breaking point for you in your selection process... however, just as clearly, for many it doesn't make that much difference.

In a professional setting it likely means even less as it is still at such a low level that it's only audible when there is a complete absence of signal... which means you're wasting money every time you're hearing it. Sure you will get some "my hearing is so accurate that the ~2dB of contributed noise is messing up the mixes I'm doing (at >80dB levels)" - but those people are easily ignored. IMO they're the most likely to hear their cables, despite compressing the material they work on down to almost nothing. ;)

No matter what the "right" answer is... until it is exactly as cheap to produce a completely silent active monitor - you won't be seeing them in the lowest price tier. After all, that's one of the reasons you're likely to pony up the big bucks for their higher-tier products. LOL.

Last edited:

Alchemist_

Actually the Yamaha's were some of the worst I auditioned initially (in the sense that the noise was audible from a greater distance on my desk). Can't speak for the larger ones however - but the HS5 definitely had more than the 305's I auditioned at the same time (and seemed to me to have less bass extension as well). As far as the first statement, I think that's a bit naive... the BOM certainly matters as far as distortion and hiss, which directly determines the MSRP. Clearly the noise is a breaking point for you in your selection process... however, just as clearly, for many it doesn't make that much difference.

In a professional setting it likely means even less as it is still at such a low level that it's only audible when there is a complete absence of signal... which means you're wasting money every time you're hearing it. Sure you will get some "my hearing is so accurate that the ~2dB of contributed noise is messing up the mixes I'm doing (at >80dB levels)" - but those people are easily ignored. IMO they're the most likely to hear their cables, despite compressing the material they work on down to almost nothing. ;)

No matter what the "right" answer is... until it is exactly as cheap to produce a completely silent active monitor - you won't be seeing them in the lowest price tier. After all, that's one of the reasons you're likely to pony up the big bucks for their higher-tier products. LOL.
1 JBL sizzles more Yamaha hs5/7/8 personally heard in the studio and in the store.
2 I've studied this topic quite a bit - more expensive doesn't mean less fizz. LOL

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think it's important to note that hiss bothers different people to different degrees, so it's not necessarily a great idea for manufacturers to prioritize hiss over sound quality(though it may be). For me, I strongly prioritize sound quality over hiss, as hiss doesn't bother me at all at any distance. I would still use the 308p even if the hiss were much louder, as it's not audible when listening to music, and my brain automatically tunes out any constant background noise(hiss, ac, fan noise, etc.)

It sounds like hiss is very important to you, though, so you may have to sacrifice some sound quality to get a monitor with less hiss.

Alchemist_

I think it's important to note that hiss bothers different people to different degrees, so it's not necessarily a great idea for manufacturers to prioritize hiss over sound quality(though it may be). For me, I strongly prioritize sound quality over hiss, as hiss doesn't bother me at all at any distance. I would still use the 308p even if the hiss were much louder, as it's not audible when listening to music, and my brain automatically tunes out any constant background noise(hiss, ac, fan noise, etc.)

It sounds like hiss is very important to you, though, so you may have to sacrifice some sound quality to get a monitor with less hiss.
It sounds like you love the sizzle or just shield the JBL...) The sound quality is first and foremost, but it should not hiss.
And it seems that manufacturers underestimate the number of consumers who can deliver their product - at home in the bedroom or near the computer, and not just in the studio.
ps and the sound of jbl 305/306/308 I do not like.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It sounds like you love the sizzle or just shield the JBL...) The sound quality is first and foremost, but it should not hiss.
And it seems that manufacturers underestimate the number of consumers who can deliver their product - at home in the bedroom or near the computer, and not just in the studio.
ps and the sound of jbl 305/306/308 I do not like.
I have my 308's as TV/Movie/Music speakers in my living room at 2 metres from listening position and I can't hear the hiss at 2m, but I couldn't have them on my desk either side of my computer monitor, that would drive me up the wall!

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It sounds like you love the sizzle or just shield the JBL....

Nah I have zero bias for JBL. I own many different brands of speakers and buy often so I never really get emotionally attached to a brand.

I don't love the sizzle. It just doesn't bother me at all. Same way I don't love the sound of the air conditioner, but it also doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

Alchemist_

Nah I have zero bias for JBL. I own many different brands of speakers and buy often so I never really get emotionally attached to a brand.

I don't love the sizzle. It just doesn't bother me at all. Same way I don't love the sound of the air conditioner, but it also doesn't bother me.
It turns out that your opinion is anti-biased(. And if you don't hear a hiss, it doesn't mean it's not there. Look on the Internet how many complaints about jbl krk and others. The point is that about some, it occurs very often.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It turns out that your opinion is anti-biased(. And if you don't hear a hiss, it doesn't mean it's not there. Look on the Internet how many complaints about jbl krk and others. The point is that about some, it occurs very often.

Never said I didn't hear it or that it doesn't exist. In fact, I said the opposite. I hear it. It just doesn't bother me.

It does surprise me that these companies don't pay more attention to hiss, given how strongly so many seem to feel about it.

Last edited:

Alchemist_

Never said I didn't hear it or that it doesn't exist. In fact, I said the opposite. I hear it. It just doesn't bother me.

It does surprise me that these companies don't pay more attention, given how strongly so many seem to feel about it.
could you tell us which monitors heard the hiss in descending order? it was very useful and interesting.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
could you tell us which monitors heard the hiss in descending order? it was very useful and interesting.

Of the actives I own, the JBL 308p are the worst(hissiest) by far. The Genelecs can still be heard up close when the AC is off, but I doubt they'd bother you.

Not sure which is quieter between the two Genelecs I own. Pozz's list says the 8030c is quieter, but I'm not so sure.

Top Bottom