• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T8V Studio Monitor Review

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All models use a “built in DSP controlled driver crossovers, and equalisation”

PeteL

Major Contributor
All models use a “built in DSP controlled driver crossovers, and equalisation”
Thanks, where did you find this info? I don’t see that in the spec sheet or adam site.
edit: ah got it, on the main page for the whole serie. It then would have been great to have a digital input it seams.

I hope the DSP its using is not compressing the sound in some of the active speakers i have had. Is there away to turn off the active dsp?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Did you drive them via the XLR or the RCA? Much difference in noise levels?
I used XLR. Based on my experience with others, the hiss is independent of how you drive them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hope the DSP its using is not compressing the sound in some of the active speakers i have had. Is there away to turn off the active dsp?
If there is level compression, I did not hit it even with playing a single monitor.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Lots of distortion on that tweeter around 4.5KHz. Wonder if that's why Adams always had kind of a sandpapery treble to me? I owned a pair of S3As for a while and the top end just never seemed to translate onto other systems right.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thumbs up to CMO (chief mythbuster officer) and Adam audio for providing a sample!

As far as I remember doing some personal comparison of (mostly) small monitor market offerings (beta/unfinished/errors reserved :), RCA-s are not that rare.
What is really rare, is 5-year warranty, this is some truly "tangible" quality promise.

Smaller sibling (T7V) measurements.

Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
One great thing about these speakers is that they generate essentially no tweeter hiss. This is a common problem in many budget monitors and is something that when you become sensitive to it, you hear it more when not much is playing.

Would Klippel NSF be able to quantify hiss?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Adam folded-ribbon tweeters are touted as being the strongest part of the offering. But looking at the frequency response maybe not?

So far I'm not convinced with folded-ribbon, AMT or planar tweeters, all claim to be better than dome but end up measuring worse.

Straight flat rigid ribbon, maybe.

LoyK

I own a pair of Adam A7Xs and I really like their sound. Unfortunately Adam does not provide the measurements for them.
Would love to know if the T7V/T8V are at the same/better level for a lower price now.
My guess is that the AXx series will see some upgrade soon.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would Klippel NSF be able to quantify hiss?
Sort of. I can stick the microphone next to the tweeter. It is a bit tricky though to decide on the distance to the mic given waveguides and such.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm is it normal to see such a crossover dip, when it's a DSP crossover used?
It could be port interference in which case DSP can't fix it. But yes, in general we see much flatter response with DSP.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listened to these recently - i preferred the Mackie MR824, which I thought had a more even tone and even deeper bass. Would be interested if measurements would bear that out.
index.php

djigibao

Top Bottom