• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T8V Studio Monitor Review

Puppy2022

T8V may be the way to go then. They don't lack bass capability!
You're right. The T8V is very likely the best option to start with, as it will be my first active speakers. I can always extend them by the T10s, if necessary, or sell if I find the hiss annoying.

BTW I was even considering Edifier S350DB as an option ;), but I haven't found any serious review of it.

Last edited:

audio2920

For me it is a mystery how it can be so bad while having such great electronic components nowadays compared to the 80-90's era

Agreed. It does seem odd.

Personally I suspect it's a combo in the sense that while cheaper speakers are probably be noiser than older amps (but also, the internal amps are very, very cheap of course) I think partly expectiations are also higher [err, lower!] because on the recording/production/repro side things are infinitely improved.

Just a thought, but to some extent I also wonder if the general trend/demand upward in amplifier power doesn’t help matters in the budget segment, as it means the gain staging is less optimal for lower listening levels? I guess it contributes a few dB.

But overall, the performance for the money is incredible, isn't it? I can't quite believe how good this sort of monitor sounds compared to budget stuff from the 90s, or even 2000s!

Puppy2022

I'd say T5V+Sub could be the best of those options.
Well, I was almost ready to rethink my opinion on the T8V in favor of the T5V + T10S until I read this comment (automatically translated from German):

Another problem is that the subwoofer turns off automatically when the input level falls below a certain threshold. It's a good idea, but this threshold is set way too high and you can't change it. This means that when I'm listening/mixing at a moderate volume, the subwoofer (and thus the entire monitor system) switches off every 10/15 minutes. That's really annoying.

There are another two people complaining about the same issue. It looks like a small detail is going to spoil the whole thing :(

Last edited:

Puppy2022

But overall, the performance for the money is incredible, isn't it? I can't quite believe how good this sort of monitor sounds compared to budget stuff from the 90s, or even 2000s!
Definitely. I think it is thanks to the digital processing and class D amplifiers (that's why I ditched out Presonus, as they still use the old-fashioned AB heaters). For instance all the small portable Bluetooth speakers have very good sound considering the small size.

The same applies for the PA systems on live concerts. I often attend various electro/industrial festivals and the PA boxes are getting smaller during the years while still retain the amazing sound quality. Thanks to the digital processing amplifiers have the exact profiles of the speakers, so they can use them safely up to the 100 percent of its power without a risk of overload and damage. Incredible technology. Especially the subbass kind where the sound goes of its smallest side is popular, you can really feel the sound :)

Last edited:

Puppy2022

According to the user manual, the 50 % more expensive ADAM Sub 8 subwoofer has a switch to turn off the automatic standby feature, unlike the T10S. Not sure if it would make sense to pair it with the T5V.

kolestonin

The frequency range of 33 - 25000Hz stated in the official specs is for 6db if I am not wrong.

What are the 3db values?

Puppy2022

After one week of using them I am really happy with the purchase :) The sound is amazing given the dimensions, I really don't need a subwoofer after some equalization. I can hear the tweater hiss up to 25 cm distance only, so it isn't an issue at all (note that I am 50+, a younger ear may be more sensitive). I can't recommend to use the unbalanced RCA input, as I had strong hum issue when connected to my PC via Sound Blaster X-Fi HD. I changed it to PreSonus AudioBox iOne connected by TRS/XLR cables, all the hum and noise issues are gone now even on the maximum input level.

Last edited:

BobbyTimmons

Well, I was almost ready to rethink my opinion on the T8V in favor of the T5V + T10S until I read this comment (automatically translated from German):

Another problem is that the subwoofer turns off automatically when the input level falls below a certain threshold. It's a good idea, but this threshold is set way too high and you can't change it. This means that when I'm listening/mixing at a moderate volume, the subwoofer (and thus the entire monitor system) switches off every 10/15 minutes. That's really annoying.

There are another two people complaining about the same issue. It looks like a small detail is going to spoil the whole thing :(
Just get the KRK S12.4 for the subwoofer. KRK's subwoofer has a better design where you can turn off the standby mode. https://www.krkmusic.com/Powered-Subwoofer/s12

S12.4_back.jpg

Zajac

So with addition of T10s which would a be better choice - T5V or T7V? Is there any advantage/disadvantage in getting the bigger ones? I'm mostly concerned about the quality of the midrange but there isn't any comprehensive T7V review so I'm not sure if the mids are as good as good as in T5V. I want to set my crossover around 80 so would the T7Vs make more sense or maybe the T5Vs will do fine, while possibly maintaining better midrange?

YSC

Major Contributor
So with addition of T10s which would a be better choice - T5V or T7V? Is there any advantage/disadvantage in getting the bigger ones? I'm mostly concerned about the quality of the midrange but there isn't any comprehensive T7V review so I'm not sure if the mids are as good as good as in T5V. I want to set my crossover around 80 so would the T7Vs make more sense or maybe the T5Vs will do fine, while possibly maintaining better midrange?
IIRC the T5V have smoother directivity, with a sub taking care of the bass I think the 5" will have less directivity issue

56suited

Is there a way to show side-by-side comparative analysis of multiple speakers? For example, even though they are distinctly different speakers, I would love to see these vs. the Focal Alpha 65 EVO vs. Neumann KH 80 DSP vs. Kali Audio IN-8 vs. ELAC DBR62.

I can't listen to each one first-hand, and I can't differentiate on recommendation level, aside from panthers or preference score.

56suited

I guess I am having trouble figuring out whether to go with powered monitors or powered speakers.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess I am having trouble figuring out whether to go with powered monitors or powered speakers.
Hang on, what's the difference? Also, I think all of them are powered, whether by battery or by the mains :p

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Is there a way to show side-by-side comparative analysis of multiple speakers? For example, even though they are distinctly different speakers, I would love to see these vs. the Focal Alpha 65 EVO vs. Neumann KH 80 DSP vs. Kali Audio IN-8 vs. ELAC DBR62.

I can't listen to each one first-hand, and I can't differentiate on recommendation level, aside from panthers or preference score.
The KH 80 is a little 4" monitor for desktop / mixing desk distances. I don't remember your exact listening distance, but I know it is much farther than the KH 80's intended use. You would need the KH 120 or the KH 150 with at least one sub, which would blow your budget.

Adam monitors are generally good, but I have always had problems with the narrow vertical response of the AMT tweeter. For that reason, I tend to avoid all speakers with one.

I have heard the IN-5, but not the IN-8. The IN-5 is a very good speaker if you like the coincident sound field. For your use, the IN-5 with subs would be more satisfying than the IN-8 without, but you need a way to integrate the subs, as has been previously discussed in responses to some of your other posts. There is only a 2dB max SPL difference between the two, and subs would keep the IN-5s limiter under control at reasonable SPLs at a reasonable listening distance.

I have no experience with the Focal. It is a monitor with unusually wide directivity--much more like a farfield speaker--which may suit your application.

One short answer is that monitors are made for nearfield to midfield listening, whereas powered speakers are made for farfield listening. People do make monitors work in the farfield, however, assuming the use case allows for it (required SPL at listening distance). Many times these are larger monitors.

Monitors tend to have flatter in-room response, meaning less downward slope in the treble. Many or most people find that to sound bright.

Finally, many monitors prioritize directivity smoothness over directivity width, which means they interact less with the side walls and therefore create a narrower soundstage. That works well in some rooms / placements and less well in others. This makes sense, because most studio environments have substantial room treatment and/or the monitors are so far from the sidewalls, there is no first reflection in front of the listener.

I think you are on the right track withe the DBR62. It is an all-around good speaker and a great place to start.

56suited

The KH 80 is a little 4" monitor for desktop / mixing desk distances. I don't remember your exact listening distance, but I know it is much farther than the KH 80's intended use. You would need the KH 120 or the KH 150 with at least one sub, which would blow your budget.

Adam monitors are generally good, but I have always had problems with the narrow vertical response of the AMT tweeter. For that reason, I tend to avoid all speakers with one.

I have heard the IN-5, but not the IN-8. The IN-5 is a very good speaker if you like the coincident sound field. For your use, the IN-5 with subs would be more satisfying than the IN-8 without, but you need a way to integrate the subs, as has been previously discussed in responses to some of your other posts. There is only a 2dB max SPL difference between the two, and subs would keep the IN-5s limiter under control at reasonable SPLs at a reasonable listening distance.

I have no experience with the Focal. It is a monitor with unusually wide directivity--much more like a farfield speaker--which may suit your application.

One short answer is that monitors are made for nearfield to midfield listening, whereas powered speakers are made for farfield listening. People do make monitors work in the farfield, however, assuming the use case allows for it (required SPL at listening distance). Many times these are larger monitors.

Monitors tend to have flatter in-room response, meaning less downward slope in the treble. Many or most people find that to sound bright.

Finally, many monitors prioritize directivity smoothness over directivity width, which means they interact less with the side walls and therefore create a narrower soundstage. That works well in some rooms / placements and less well in others. This makes sense, because most studio environments have substantial room treatment and/or the monitors are so far from the sidewalls, there is no first reflection in front of the listener.

I think you are on the right track withe the DBR62. It is an all-around good speaker and a great place to start.
Okay... Because I started to spin out of control and look at the Adam T5V and the S10 sub accompaniment to bypass the need for an amp...as well as like 5 other monitors.

Gosh there's a lot to learn, and decide.

Top Bottom