• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Adam T5V Powered Speaker. It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. The T5V costs US $200 each.

Much like the rest of Adam speakers, the T5V has a serious look to it:

Adam T5V Review Studio Monitor Powered Speaker.jpg

Back panel shows good connectivity and usual controls:

Adam T5V Review Studio Monitor Powered Speaker Back panel XLR.jpg

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of less than 1% throughout most of the range.

Temperature was 58 degrees F (yes, it is getting cold here). Measurement location is at sea level so you compute the pressure.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the tweeter center.

Adam T5V Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker Spinorama CEA-2034 Frequency Response.png

The elevation of treble seems to be on purpose and shows up in one other measurement I found. The sound filed gets kind of complex in the mid-range due to port interactions:

Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker driver response.png

Thankfully the two resonant peaks from the port are around 1 kHz which is before the woofer crossover has taken its toll on it, making them less dominant when summed. Tweeter response is uneven as we have seen in this type of AMT tweeter type before (e.g. Adam T8V).

The following two graphs are designed for far field listening but still give us useful information:
Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker Spinorama CEA-2034 Frequency Response.png

Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker Spinorama CEA-2034 Predicted In-room Freq...png

The smaller woofer integrates well with the tweeter as far as dispersion (beam width):
Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker horizontal beamwidth.png

Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker horizontal directivity.png

And you have more than the usual vertical leeway for listening:
Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker vertical directivity.png

A lot of budget monitors in this price range have high distortion but here, it is controlled fairly well:
Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker distortion relative measurements.png

Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker distortion measurements.png

Notice how the bass distortion stays well below its frequency response (otherwise THD would be over 100%!). So not reference quality but better than what one expects as noted.

I wanted to measure the effect of trim switches but the Klippel software was acting up on me. So I manually captured on effect: the treble negative trim:

Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker Tweeter 2 dB Trim.png

Was hoping that it would take that shelving down altogether. But instead, it has a slope to it and as such, will leave the elevated levels between 4 and 6 kHz. Still, it may be helpful. Note that the trimmed graph is smoothed but the other is not. So don't worry about that difference.

Adam T5V Speaker Listening Tests
Out of the box, slapped on my desk with half inch foam under it, the sound was very good. It was a tad bright so I dialed in a quick shelf filter:
Adam T5V Review Studio Monitor Powered Speaker Equalization.png

Done! Track after track sounded beautiful. There was surprising amount of bass combined with ability to get quite loud. The low notes were creating a physical sensation and reverberated throughout my huge space. And my "speaker killer" tracks had no such attribute with Adam T5V. Even at extremely elevated levels there was either zero or just a hint of distortion in the deep bass. Superbly implemented tuning of the bass is in play here folks.

Figuring there would be a lot of interest in knowing how it compares to other speakers, I first paired it with Neumman KH80 DSP. No contest. The little KH80 while sounding smooth, could not remotely produce the same bass and loudness. As a result it sounded quite thin.

I substituted the JBL 305P Mark II. Again, no contest. The 305p had far less bass and could not play nearly as loud.

So I pulled in the Kali LP6. I was quite surprised that the Adam T5V with its smaller woofer was able to once again produce more bass. I think this is due to the shelving of the upper bass in LP6. Regardless, the T5V sounded much warmer and balanced due to more bass energy. And it could play even louder than the LP6!

Quick testing for hiss showed that I could not hear much past a few inches away from Adam tweeter. So really not a problem -- at least not in my sample.

I then sat back and just listened. And listened. Joy, oh joy! :)

Conclusions
There is a great line in one of my favorite movies, Good Will Hunting: "I don't know that she is perfect... the key is whether you are perfect for each other." The Adam T5V is not perfect but manages the compromises in the this very low price range incredibly well. The ability produce lots of bass and loudly so puts it a clear step ahead of the competition. Yes, you pay a bit more for that but it is well worth it.

Really, I live for days like this. Discovering a budget speaker that exceeds your expectations and produces great sound with almost no faults. No need for, "well you always need a sub." No, a good speaker should not need a sub to sound good. The subwoofer should be augmentation, not filling design deficiency. A bookshelf speaker needs to deliver enough bass to balance the rest of the response and the Adam T5V does that. Ditto for ability to get loud.

It is my pleasure to strongly recommend the Adam T5V.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Adam T5V Spinorama.zip
    88.1 KB · Views: 650

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems most of the "monitor" labeled speakers from the main brands are quite decent and match their claimed specifications.

imho 'bright' speakers are very easy to equalize compared to those showing deficiencies in bass or mids.

At this price, they seem to be a very good deal indeed! Thanks for the review.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Found a PCB screenshot and another pic so peeps can get a size reference of this bad little boy beside a person.
Wow, that is a fancy set of electronics in there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
5 year warranty is another reason to pay a bit more for these.
Yeh, I meant to make this point but forgot! :) Warranty on a passive speaker is not nearly as valuable than an active one.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I found from a Russian site. I thought that amp board looked far too expensive.

View attachment 97328

https://prosound.ixbt.com/monitors/adam-t5v.shtml
there's a higher res pic on there, but not much to see
Yes, I found your pic too. I think maybe the advertiser is stretching the truth here and not posting a factual pic of the amp PCB.
So I deleted the pic from my post and provided a link for the bad advertising and my quick reaction to it that I had. :D
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/ada...aker-pair-plus-iso-acoustic-stands-plus-leads

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm beginning to wonder if that distortion spike at ~4k is the tweeter not liking being crossed over at ~2.5k. It seems to appear when the amp is pushed hard on every Adam TV series model I've seen reviewed on this site.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
What an awesome value. These would probably the speakers I would get for a highly substantial upgrade over my Klipsch RP-41Ms, if it weren't for the use cases I have for the small form factor of iLoud Micro Monitors.

YSC

Major Contributor
The bass extension looks like what the 8030C is doing so actually should be doable for 5” woofer, just at this budget I didn’t expect it could. The treble shelving looked annoying at graph but maybe our hearing is less sensitive at that region so sounded not too annoying and gave the extra sense of air ?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Im a little lost on the bass distortion comments. Have I missed something? Just seems high to me. As expected from a small equalised speaker.

Not complaining for the price of course, its performance needs to be put into context, but no way is it low distortion.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm If you still have these speakers, what effect does the -2db HF switch on the back have? Will that get rid of the brightness so we get a flatter frequency response?
Answer was in the review: :)

index.php

I listened to it with and without the switch and it was not as effect as my DSP correction although AB testing was hard.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: Made for far-field listening, as such the shallower PIR slope that near-field monitors usually have is detrimental to its score.

Preference Rating
SCORE: 4.2
SCORE w/ sub: 6.4

Frequency response: +/-6.2dB 45Hz-20kHz ; +/-2.5dB 80Hz-20kHz
Spinorama 6.png
Horizontal Directivity 4.png
Horizontal Directivity Normalized 4.png
Vertical Directivity 4.png
Vertical Directivity Normalized 4.png
chart 5.png
All graphs/data

Last edited:

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Too many 'live' surfaces inside that box. That aluminum plate, the port tube itself, the circuit boards for the amp. All of that—if it's not covered with some sort of damping material—is contributing to the ragged midrange response. The little bit that is in there is probably not doing much to damp out reflections and resonances. Most unfortunate.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprised the little AMT provides such excellent directivity matching. Adam appears to know what they're doing.

It is rather disappointing to see that the 7 and 8" models both seem to use an identical HF unit/waveguide. I doubt their directivity matching is quite as good, but it may not matter in the near field too much.

Top Bottom