• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V or Kali LP-6/IN-5 for second room (dining room)? - from unbalanced DAC output

Zeeb

I would appreciate some guidance to see if I'm on the right track.

I want to get quality second-room sound (dining/kitchen room) to play simultaneously with my Genelec 8030s (living room) for entertainment.

The source is a PC -> DAC (Soncoz SGD1) - > 2 simultaneous outputs

The DAC has a balanced output to the Genelecs, and an unbalanced RCA output which runs by wire to the dining room.

I am looking for another set of active monitors to add to this unbalanced output.

(I realise these types of monitors are near-field, but my thought is that studio monitors are better bang-for-buck than small active/hifi systems and I like listening critically/technically anyway.)

These ones caught my attention ($900 US max pair budget):
- Adam T5V
- Kali LP-6 v2
- Kali IN-5

Would these be good for mid-field (2-4m) dining room/kitchen listening? (indie rock, electronic and talk listening)

Considerations:
- unbalanced output so possible ground loop noise from PC (or will my DAC deal with this?)
- unbalanced output so only half the volume of the balanced Genelecs in the other room (I've been using a line booster for this to a portable speaker)
- latency of Genelec 8030s is <5ms, so if the new monitors have too much latency the rooms will be out of sync

Thank you.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Kalis without a doubt, probably IN-5s.

Last edited:

hexinho

Can I ask why Kali without a doubt? The review for the Adam Audio monitors seem to show they perform really well.

I guess the IN-5s would be superior due to the 'midfield' listening distance the OP has? It doesn't seem like that was the defining swing factor for your recommendation though.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Can I ask why Kali without a doubt? The review for the Adam Audio monitors seem to show they perform really well.

I guess the IN-5s would be superior due to the 'midfield' listening distance the OP has? It doesn't seem like that was the defining swing factor for your recommendation though.
For one, I don't think the Adams sound very good. For two, the Kalis I do think sound pretty good. For three, the IN-5s extend lower and get to reasonably good volume levels, plus they have the usual 3-way IMD advantages.

agiletiger

I have the Kali LP-6 connected to A Topping D50 and they sound great. Unbalanced output also.

Filio45

Agreed, other than I think IN-8's would be better suited to a more midfield arrangement than the IN-5's. That's based on Erin's IN-5 review.

The OP does not state room size but in my 3.2 x 4.5m (10.5 x 14.7ft) untreated space, the IN-8's are *very* well-controlled in the bass, considering the 8" woofer. In comparison with another monitor I've used, Focal Alpha Evo 65's (6.5") were somewhat boomy without additional EQ and harder to reign in. Their few Hz lower LF-tuning may have played a role admittedly but I'm in a temporary room and not taken measurements.

The slightly wider HF dispersion of a design like the Focal's could be an advantage though when moving around a room a lot. No idea how the Adam T5V's compare in that regard.

Overall though, I can recommend the IN-8's if used in the midfield at sensible volume, but the IN-5's may run out of steam? :)

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zeeb

For one, I don't think the Adams sound very good. For two, the Kalis I do think sound pretty good. For three, the IN-5s extend lower and get to reasonably good volume levels, plus they have the usual 3-way IMD advantages.

Cheers, this is helpful. The IN-5 would take furniture rearrangement to fit in (with its extra height compared to the others), but I will look into it further. I have contacted Kali's Australian supplier to find out when the LP-6v2 is coming to Australia (we only have the v1 so far).

I saw the Kali member on another thread say they personally prefer the IN-5 to the LP-6 (they seem to be referring to v2).
[thread: Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released]

Agreed, other than I think IN-8's would be better suited to a more midfield arrangement than the IN-5's. That's based on Erin's IN-5 review.

The OP does not state room size but in my 3.2 x 4.5m (10.5 x 14.7ft) untreated space, the IN-8's are *very* well-controlled in the bass, considering the 8" woofer. In comparison with another monitor I've used, Focal Alpha Evo 65's (6.5") were somewhat boomy without additional EQ and harder to reign in. Their few Hz lower LF-tuning may have played a role admittedly but I'm in a temporary room and not taken measurements.

The slightly wider HF dispersion of a design like the Focal's could be an advantage though when moving around a room a lot. No idea how the Adam T5V's compare in that regard.

Overall though, I can recommend the IN-8's if used in the midfield at sensible volume, but the IN-5's may run out of steam?

The IN-8s are too tall to consider - I have about 42cm height clearance even with rearranging the furniture. Sounds good about the IN series bass in general though, thanks for this info.

Space about 3.5 x 6m (a central room with 5 usually open doors around it). Listening positions between 1 and 4m from monitors. Usually low to medium volume.

I'll look if other threads mention latency.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Just an FYI: the IN-5s do just fine on their sides, so you might be able to use them that way.

I do indeed prefer the IN-5 to the LP-6. A few pros for the LP-6, though:
  • It is less tall
  • Distortion at the very low end is slightly better
Latency is under 3ms.

OP
Z

Zeeb

Just an FYI:
Cheers, I ended up ordering the LP-6v2 (available in Australia next week).

One monitor will go in a wall unit cube, so even on its side the IN-5 wouldn't have fit. (The wall unit cube frame has an open back and sides, so it won't be too closed in.)

I also strongly considered the Audioengine HD6 (for aux-in second-room speakers), which is meant to sound good - but I couldn't give up the even better sound of the Kali for features I would have liked like a grille and an easily-switchable second analogue input. (It will be interesting to see the consumer version of the LP-6 Kali is developing.) And I saved a bunch of money that I can put towards a subwoofer for my speakers in the other room.

Last edited:

flyzipper

It sounds like the OP made his decision, but for the consideration of others, I'd recommend:
  • in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen to avoid countertop clutter (speakers and wires), and placing speakers close to work areas so they don't have to be excessively loud to out-compete things like exhaust fans, running water, etc.
  • in-walls for the dining room placed lower than usual -- tweeter at knee height aiming under the table to better provide background music to avoid out-competing conversation (especially for older guests who may have a difficult time hearing conversations over the direct sound and reflections off hard surfaces from the music).
  • control both independently so their levels align to the disparate activities which occur on those rooms.

hexinho

Just an FYI: the IN-5s do just fine on their sides, so you might be able to use them that way.

• It is less tall
Latency is under 3ms.
How would you summarize the main pros for the IN-5 over the LP-6?

chang

• It is less tall
Latency is under 3ms.
Would the IN-5's do well as a home theater setup (roughly 4m listening distance)?

chang

I would appreciate some guidance to see if I'm on the right track.

I want to get quality second-room sound (dining/kitchen room) to play simultaneously with my Genelec 8030s (living room) for entertainment.

The source is a PC -> DAC (Soncoz SGD1) - > 2 simultaneous outputs

The DAC has a balanced output to the Genelecs, and an unbalanced RCA output which runs by wire to the dining room.

I am looking for another set of active monitors to add to this unbalanced output.

(I realise these types of monitors are near-field, but my thought is that studio monitors are better bang-for-buck than small active/hifi systems and I like listening critically/technically anyway.)

These ones caught my attention ($900 US max pair budget):
- Adam T5V
- Kali LP-6 v2
- Kali IN-5

Would these be good for mid-field (2-4m) dining room/kitchen listening? (indie rock, electronic and talk listening)

Considerations:
- unbalanced output so possible ground loop noise from PC (or will my DAC deal with this?)
- unbalanced output so only half the volume of the balanced Genelecs in the other room (I've been using a line booster for this to a portable speaker)
- latency of Genelec 8030s is <5ms, so if the new monitors have too much latency the rooms will be out of sync

Thank you.
What did you end up going with? Do the monitors work for far field listening?

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Would the IN-5's do well as a home theater setup (roughly 4m listening distance)?
You're not going to get reference level at that distance. IN-8 would be a better choice. Or somehow shorten the listening distance.

Top Bottom