• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam S2V Studio Monitor Review

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, maybe. I tested that and did the test with my active monitors with matched level of course. Now, if the difference I could tell was because of the analog part of the dac, I really do not know where the difference came from, I do know that there was a clear difference. The DELL monitor DAC and the macbook dac, both sounded like more flat, less airy, less instrument separation.

What kind of input did your "active monitors" require (i.e. 1/8" minijack, RCA, XLR)? What kind of cabling and adapters were used?

D

Deleted member 12179

What kind of input did your "active monitors" require (i.e. 1/8" minijack, RCA, XLR)? What kind of cabling and adapters were used?

The exact same for the different 3 tests. Unbalanced quarter inch jack, to 3.5mm. Extra adapter to rca for testing khadas. And this was with the yamaha monitors. The differences now with hd6XX are way bigger. Again, this was khadas external usb, versus a macbook internal dac full of electronics, static electricity from cheap charger, and then dac in the very center of a dell 4k monitor, in the middle of all the connectors. Not to mention only the khadas can do higher res audio. only khadas can reproduce 24/192. Now I can notice difference from 16/44.1 to 24/192. if you are paying attention, of course, if you are doing accounting at the same time or looking at divorce lawyer e-mails they all sound the same... Yamaha setup not so pristine, considering this room, long cables, cheapish speakers, but still could be noticed. HD6xx with jds adam goes a bit deeper in detail.

Watch from 4:00, another legend defending against DSP, this time, some one who doesn't give 2 of them, about marketing. Still old school though.

Last edited by a moderator:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The exact same for the different 3 tests. Unbalanced quarter inch jack, to 3.5mm. Extra adapter to rca for testing khadas. And this was with the yamaha monitors. The differences now with hd6XX are way bigger. Again, this was khadas external usb, versus a macbook internal dac full of electronics, static electricity from cheap charger, and then dac in the very center of a dell 4k monitor, in the middle of all the connectors. Not to mention only the khadas can do higher res audio. only khadas can reproduce 24/192. Now I can notice difference from 16/44.1 to 24/192. if you are paying attention, of course, if you are doing accounting at the same time or looking at divorce lawyer e-mails they all sound the same... Yamaha setup not so pristine, considering this room, long cables, cheapish speakers, but still could be noticed. HD6xx with jds adam goes a bit deeper in detail.

Watch from 4:00, another legend defending against DSP, this time, some one who doesn't give 2 of them, about marketing. Still old school though.
I've been around the club scene for a long time. Tony Andrews is no legend. His PA speakers are famous the same way certain DJs are famous: strong marketing and a story. He is hostile to serious examination of speaker behaviour and relies on attitude and a message. He is no authority to bring to this discussion.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The exact same for the different 3 tests. Unbalanced quarter inch jack, to 3.5mm. Extra adapter to rca for testing khadas. And this was with the yamaha monitors. The differences now with hd6XX are way bigger.

"The yamaha monitors?" What the hell does that mean?

You're fond of name-checking DACs again and again. And then one more time for sport. So why be so vague on the part of the chain that was the subject of a direct question?

HD6xx with jds adam goes a bit deeper in detail.

This Sennheiser HD650 and HD580, and MacBook Pro, owner concurs: inefficient and very high impedance headphones such as Sennheiser HD580-600-650 need more voltage swing than a MacBook's headphone jack is capable of to yield a full range dynamic listening experience. Change the headphones, that result may change. NAD HP50 sound substantially the same on a MacBook Pro and on a HeadRoom Desktop Amp, for example.

The hypothesis behind my questions to you was, you're blaming DACs for issues more likely caused by current and voltage limited headphone jacks.

Thank you for confirming my hypothesis.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"The yamaha monitors?" What the hell does that mean?

He meant the Yamaha HS7 speakers. I also have the same speakers as him

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been around the club scene for a long time. Tony Andrews is no legend. His PA speakers are famous the same way certain DJs are famous: strong marketing and a story. He is hostile to serious examination of speaker behaviour and relies on attitude and a message. He is no authority to bring to this discussion.

+1

The only good thing about Funktion-One is that they can play very loud without signifcant distortion. Virtually everything else about their speakers runs contrary to evidence-based design principles.

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
It's a kind of a joke to ask from an engineer to "guarantee" that an analogue to digital conversation inside the speaker (for dsp, including crossover) is acoustically transparent.
Any dac and adc nowadays is so much better (frequency response, thd, dynamic range, etc) than any speaker ever measured!

It's a joke.

D

Deleted member 12179

He says and acts as the very opposite, blamming dj's, mp3's, cheap architectural spaces audio wise. Haven't seen a project one advertise ever. I think you are full of big bullshit and jealousy. Lying has very short legs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He says and acts as the very opposite, blamming dj's, mp3's, cheap architectural spaces audio wise. Haven't seen a project one advertise ever. I think you are full of big bullshit and jealousy. Lying has very short legs.
Watch your language.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Funktion One speakers (the Evolution series that everyone in the club scene is besotted by) are optimised to be able to produce extremely high SPLs at relatively low distortion in a (relatively) compact horn. Certain aspects of the design are quite impressive, most notably, the axehead phase plug, which IIUC is manufactured specifically with/for the midrange driver in such a way that the air volume between the diaphragm and the phase plug is very low, which allows the midrange to play up to a higher frequency than it would otherwise. This in turn is one reason why the speaker can achieve high SPLs: the system is optimised so that relatively large, horn-loaded drivers are playing in frequency ranges higher than they otherwise might, thereby reducing the stress on the driver next up in the speaker (you have a 15" woofer handling 70 or 80 to 200Hz, a 10" woofer handling 200-4000Hz, and then only the top two octaves for a 1.4" exit compression driver).

The compromises in the design are significant though. The off-axis performance must be a dog's breakfast, horizontally because the sound is firing out of narrow-angle rectangular horns that terminate sharply with the baffle edges, and vertically because of the high crossover frequencies and high centre-to-centre distances between the horns.

Further compounding this is Andrews' insistence on "no digital EQ". I haven't measured an Evo 6 or 7, but I wouldn't like to.

Anyway, the speakers IMO do some things well, but not the most important things. They are better than average for clubs, but they are not as good as good PA speakers from other manufacturers.

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
Anyway, the speakers IMO do some things well, but not the most important things. They are better than average for clubs, but they are not as good as good PA speakers from other manufacturers.
Yeah, I would think something like a Danley Labs SH60 + Sub dwarfs any Funktion One in every regard.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I would think something like a Danley Labs SH60 + Sub dwarfs any Funktion One in every regard.

Exactly :)

There are also many cases (particulary outdoors for festivals etc) when an array would be a better choice.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
With personal insults and language like this aimed at respected members it's you that will have short legs here.

You will encounter opposing viewpoints on ASR, sometimes some strong ones. You will need to learn how to deal with that in more civilized manner.

This reaction is totally inappropriate.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
TEDx Talk
mp3wav.PNG

:oops:

Top Bottom